We’re always looking for a new recipe or variations for an easy cold pasta salad recipe but most times we settle for the classic cold tuna pasta salad for picnics, parties, pot-luck or back yard barbeques! When summer comes we want tasty,quick and friendly on the budget since there are so many parties to go to.
I took to my Facebook page again to see what if any variations of pasta salad ingredients my fans might make of the classic tuna pasta salad. I was intrigued with some of the ideas that came up and thought of some myself while reading such as:
- Tuna Pasta Salad with Peas and olives
- Cold Chicken Pasta Salad
- Tuna Pasta Salad with Bacon and Cheese
- Cold Tuna Noodle Salad using noodles such as spaghetti
I’ve never had tuna pasta salad dressing before but a couple of my fans suggested I add salad dressing to the recipe to give a punch. All I had on hand in the pantry were 2 kinds, Italian which wasn’t what I wanted so I went straight for WOW with PC Yogurt and Asiago salad dressing. I also added low-fat Miracle Whip and Hellman’s Olive Oil Mayonnaise.
Even better is if you know how to make your own pasta salad dressing. Here is an easy pasta salad dressing called Ranch that I might try for next time. My tuna pasta salad is a wonderful combination of light dressings with the Olive oil kick by adding the Hellman’s.
You can simply change-up the pasta you use and make it a bow tie pasta salad as well to kick it up a notch. I’ve done this on many occasions which actually makes it seem as if you are eating a completely different recipe.
So what are the cold pasta salad ingredients I’m going to use today.. well let’s get making it shall we!
Prep Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 1 hour plus 1 hour to chill in the refrigerator
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Large Spoon
- Large Pot to boil Pasta
- Cheese Grater
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Cups
- 1x 500 g package of Pasta (your choice)
- 2 cans of white tuna
- 1.5 cup of Hellman’s Mayo (your choice we used the Olive Oil Version)
- 1.5 Cups of Miracle Whip Light/Low Fat
- 1/2 cup of PC Yogurt and Asiago Salad Dressing
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon of Paprika
- 1 teaspoon of Tumeric
- 1 teaspoon salt ( for the salad)
- 1 tablespoon salt for the pot of pasta water
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 1 cup of chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup of chopped red onion
- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tomato chopped
- 2 carrots chopped in small bits or you can grate it
- 2 dill pickles chopped
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice
- I cup of chopped red pepper
- In a large pot with salted boiling water cook your pasta until el dente only then strain in your strainer
- While the pasta is cooking chop/grate all of your vegetables
- Grate the cheddar Cheese and set aside in a bowl
- Chop pickles and set aside in a bowl
- When the pasta is drained put the pasta in a bowl and add all the above ingredients one by one including all the spices and lemon juice. Except the tuna and Miracle Whip and Hellman’s Mayo.
- In a separate bowl shred the tuna then add it in the pasta mixture
- After you mix in the tuna add in the Miracle Whip,Hellman’s and mix
- Taste the salad for seasoning and add more if desired. It’s best to add more than to add too much.
- Place Plastic wrap on top and store in the refrigerator for 1 hour or until chilled then serve!
- Garnish with mint if desired.
- That’s it! Enjoy with your favourite meal.
- Mr.CBB’s Fudgy Brownies! $5 a pan! (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Nonna’s Meatballs and Pasta Sauce $1.65ea Feeds 10 (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Sloppy Joe~ So Good, So Easy, So Frugal $0.95 each (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Mr.CBB’s Pasta Frittata Pie with Spicy Italian Sausage $9 (canadianbudgetbinder.com)