Mr.CBB’s Slammin Chili!
Last week I promised I would get you my budget friendly slammin chili recipe and here it is. I hope I had you all drooling over my Spicy Cheesy Bacon Corn Bread which I have accompanying this dish as it’s worth the extra time to make them. For some a thick slice of fresh hot slice of home-made bread slathered in butter will do the trick but I wanted to try something new. If you like to try something different.. give it a shot, it’s very tasty.
Mr. CBB’s Slammin Chili can be as mild as you like it or as Spicy as you like it. We prefer somewhere in the middle to protect us from the morning after effect in the loo as we don’t have stomachs of steel in the CBB home.
There are many types of chili peppers depending on what region of the world you are in. They also differ in heat and sweetness but for the most part add tonnes of flavour to any dish. One of my favourite peppers is the pepperoncini Chili pepper.. particularly the one’s that are marinated or pickled. I can eat those one after another with some fresh bread.. you know the one’s you get at East Side Mario’s in your never-ending Garden salad…. YUM!
The pepperoncini according to chili pepper madness is ;
100-500 Scovilles: Also known as Tuscan Peppers, sweet Italian peppers, or golden Greek peppers. They are sweet and mild in flavor, not very hot although they can vary and be found up to a medium heat level.
What is your favourite pepper?
Mr.CBB’s Slammin Chili
Total Cost $ Approximately $6.50
Feeds: 6 hungry adults with a side salad and spicy cheesy bacon cornbread
- Crock pot
- Frying Pan
- wooden mixing spoon
Time to prep:15-20 minutes
Time to cook: 8 hours on low in the crock pot or 6 hours on med-low on the stove
- 1lb lean ground beef
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 can diced tomatoes 900ml
- 2 green fresh onions chopped
- 1 red pepper
- 2 cups of chick peas (I use dry,soak them then boil them until tender or you can use the canned chick peas)
- 3 cups of red kidney beans ( I use dry and soak but you can also use from the can)
- 2 tablespoons of Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of tomato juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp of chili powder
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 med white onions
Steps to make Mr.CBB”s Slammin Crock Pot Chili
- In a frying pan sauté the beef until it is not pink anymore and drain the excess fat.
- Add the beef to the crock pot
- Add the onions,mushrooms, garlic, red peppers,tomatoes, tomato juice, tomato paste, water,kidney beans,chick peas, fresh green onions,and all the spices including Frank’s Red Hot Sauce.
- Give it a good stir and set the timer on 8 hours low
- I like to check on it every hour and give it a taste and a stir
- When it’s done take out the bay leaf
- Serve with a fresh garden salad and Mr.CBB’s Spicy,Cheesy,Bacon Corn Bread.. and of course a nice cold beer!
- Top the chili off with sour cream and shredded cheddar if you prefer.
- Stuff this! Mr.CBB’s Green Stuffed Peppers on Mash! $2 each Meal
- Mr.CBB’s Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Raisin Cowboy Quickies!
- Mr.CBB’s Cold Tuna Pasta Salad With A Kick $4.25~
- Mr.CBB’s Sloppy Joe~ So Good, So Easy, So Frugal $0.95 each
Photo Credit: 123RF