Don’t Waste Time Selling Your Stuff On Kijiji Incorrectly.
Kijiji is an excellent buy and sell website along with categories for housing, jobs, volunteer help, business ads, and more.
Using Kijiji for ads has earned us quite a bit of money over the years selling what we have to downsize stuff in our house.
We’ve learned over the years how to create a Kijiji ad so it is effective for both the seller and the buyer.
Below are my tips for sellers to ensure their ad gets proper exposure based on basic Kijiji specifics.
Is It Free To Post On Kijiji?
Yes, Kijiji classifieds are free to use however they limit the number of ads per category and household.
However, if you are a business or posting as a car dealer or someone who posts the same type of items often there are listing fees involved.
Even if you are a volume seller on Kijiji there are only so many ads you list for free before the ad limit kicks in.
Kijiji performance listings for businesses offers sellers unlimited listings, reach for more shoppers, and increase brand awareness.
The cost to use this is by Cost Per Click (CPC) which means anytime someone clicks on the Kijiji ad you pay a small fee.
Once your Kijiji account is listed as a dealer you will no longer have access to the free Kijiji ads but get dealer benefits.
How To Sell On Kijiji
Not everyone understands how Kijiji works but once you get the hang of it you’ll find it’s pretty simple.
As a member of Kijiji since 2006, we’ve sold thousands of dollars worth of items to buyers in our area.
In some cases, buyers came from out of town because they found a Kijiji ad that fit their needs.
Create a buy and sell email address without your name being included in the email address.
For example Buyingyourstuff @ hotmail.com instead of Bobjones @ Hotmail. com
Not all transactions and communication between buyers and sellers go smoothly.
The last thing you’d want is for that person to have your name via your email address so they can find you.
It’s a scary world out there and we have to protect ourselves especially from online scammers.
We’ve had some very rude sellers communicate with us on Kijiji when asking to negotiate that turn nasty fast.
Tips To Turn Kijiji Into A Side Hustle
What sells best on Kijiji?
If you’re looking to sell stuff fast on Kijiji or use it as a side-hustle to earn extra cash some items sell like hotcakes.
We’ve been Kijiji sellers for a long time now and from our experience, the best Kijiji ads are those that stand out.
- Clothing for kids, adults
- Adult and Kids Games
- Shoes and Accessories for men, women, and children
- Technology-based items and Entertainment: Stereo, CD’s, Movies, Smartphones, Tablets, Laptop, etc.
- Kids and Adult books
- Educational toys and materials for kids
- Sports equipment or seasonal
- Furniture and Appliances
Always make sure the photo of the item is clear and close-up and the description is accurate with all needed details.
If you’re selling furniture for example include the measurements of the piece you are selling.
Any type of information about the product that you sell on Kijiji is valuable and fewer emails from people who are on the fence.
That means if someone does contact you to buy something you know they are serious because you’ve offered all the info in the Kijiji ad.
Tips For Creating A Kijiji Ad
- Clear Photography and multiple photos or angle shots
- Actual Product Not A Screenshot of an item on a website
- Clearly identify all of the questions that a buyer might ask you in the Kijiji Ad
Sample Good Ad
The Kijiji sponsored ad popped in when I took the screenshot and I couldn’t get rid of it. Sorry. Just pretend it’s not there.
Horrible Ad Sample
Let’s pretend you are an interested buyer and found this Samsung Kijiji Ad.
What other information would be relevant to you in this Kijiji ad but is not there?
Leave me your comments below as I’d love to read what all of you have to say.
Where Category To Post Your Ad
Ideally, you would post your Kijiji Ad in the city where the item is for sale.
You would post your Kijiji ad in the relevant category, for example, baby clothes under the baby clothes tab.
What Can I Sell On Kijiji For Money?
Right from the start, I’ll tell you to avoid selling gift cards unless you meet the person at the store to verify the gift card.
We’ve sold so much on Kijiji over the years but in terms of items or stuff, there is a huge list of Kijiji categories to choose from.
For example, we’ve sold
- Clothing for adults and kids
- Kids toys
- Garden supplies and tools
- Shoes and Boots
- Books for kids and adults
- CD’s and DVD’s
- Small kitchen appliances
- Home Decor
Pretty much you can sell anything unless it is illegal such as drugs and alcohol and adult xxx ads.
You can also post ads on Kijiji for Free Stuff left for porch pickup or on the driveway or end of the driveway.
Kijiji Etiquette For Buyers
As a seller, there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind when selling.
- Always answer inquiries in a reasonable time frame. Don’t wait for days to respond or you’ll likely miss a sale.
- Clear communication that is positive to entice the buyer but also make them feel assured of you and the product
- Never post photos of an item from an online ad or store. Always post the item you are selling by taking a photo with your camera.
- You should never sell an item that does not work, broken (unless specified to the buyer)
- Always let the buyer check the item to make sure it works or it is in the shape they expect.
- Never be a pushy seller, just be truthful and clear about what you are selling.
- Clarify the price once again if the seller is interested and ask how they will be paying for it and when.
- If you both specify a place and time to meet make sure you show up on time.
- Say Thank You even if the buyer is not interested. Treat all people with kindness.
- Ask for a review and rating to let potential buyers know how you handle selling.
By following simple rules of etiquette you’ll find that your selling power increases.
Buyer and Seller Protection Online
How to sell on Kijiji Safely
There are a few ways to help sellers and buyers when it comes time for pickup of the product.
- Meet the buyer or seller outside of your home with someone else
- Go to a busy store parking lot where there are cameras and people
- Find designated buy and sell zones in your community that offer safety for buyers and sellers (police station)
- Ask for a porch pick up where the item is outside and you don’t have to knock.
How To Pay For Kijiji Purchases
- Cash: YES
- E-transfer: People You Know
- PayPal: YES but you have to link your PayPal to your Kijiji account.
Before you even pay for an item on Kijiji it’s important to test it or look at what you are buying first.
Never send money via PayPal or e-transfer to someone you don’t or before you have time to look at the goods.
In some cases, buyers may need to test an item by plugging it in to confirm it works.
At our house, we have outlets on our front porch which is where we would plug an item in to show the buyer it works.
Another idea is to have the seller video the product being plugged in and show the buyer how the item performs.
Just remember that once you hand over cash or use e-transfer or Paypal you own it.
If you suspect you’ve been a victim of Kijiji fraud or a scam file a police report right away and alert them about the ad and scam.
Never give out personal information such as banking info, social insurance number, or your address if you plan to meet in public.
Kijiji Is A Great Place To Buy and Sell
Ultimately it’s up to the buyer and seller to look out for themselves by making sure the transaction goes as planned.
If it seems too good to be true just ignore the ad and don’t bother responding.
Overall, we’ve had no issues with buyers apart from some that used less than desirable language during negotiations.
It happens but avoid reacting because you don’t know them and there will be another serious buyer.
Block the buyer’s account from contacting you in the future and if it’s bad enough let Kijiji know via their contact info.
Discussion: What other seller tips can you ad that I’ve not mentioned? Leave your comments and experiences below.