I just had to touch on this article I read about a child who won a book called “Put on Something Sexy” in his grade 8 sexual health class. Apparently it’s cartoon based book and when you flip the pages you see the couple getting it on (having sex) and the woman putting a condom on the man. A Nanaimo, B.C. mom says she was “disgusted” when her grade 8 son brought this flip book home from school. An organization Aids Vancouver Island said “they had material on tables the kids could pick up if they wish” during sexual education. One of the pamphlets was about oral sex and how to perform it and was quickly removed. So the school apologizes, writes a letter to the parents and will make sure all material is reviewed in the future, bla bla.. you can read the entire story at Huffington post Canada.
So the boy is in grade 8 and I’m sure by now he realizes he has something special going on down there. I’m also pretty sure he’s not stupid and knows what to do with it. The TV is plastered with sex, music videos depict sex, video game, movies, magazines, internet and heck, kids talk. I’m sure I’m missing something out here, oh ya, kids this age are HAVING SEX. I’m sure the mom means well and loves her kid but the reality is he’s got something going on down there and kids need to learn about it, the truth. I also believe if sexual education is being taught in the school parents should be aware although not all parents will agree to the content, you will never please them all. I’m sure the parents could pull the student from the class if they disagree.
I wonder if some parents believe little Johnny or Princess Sara are always good kids, meaning that their own kids would never consider having sex at a younger age. Come on, granted I wasn’t out jumping into bed having sex at a young age but they are doing it more than ever today. We didn’t have the luxury of the internet when we were growing in the 80′s or sexual, violent video games, we had Donkey Kong, Mario Brothers and Pac-Man but the same was still happening all around us. Kids continue walking about with backpacks full of booze on the weekends, having sex in the woods, friends houses when the parents aren’t around, smoking, doing drugs. How about the, “I’m going to Jenny’s to study” excuse.
Teens even get to watch a television program on MTV called 16 and pregnant to learn more about what life is all about being a teen mom or dad. Age 13 and 14 is not too far from 16. Don’t pick on the kids that might not come from well to do families either, it has nothing to do with it. If kids are going to do it, they will do it, wealth, religion, money, power, strict parenting, education status (straight A student) has nothing to do with it. Most often it’s peer pressure and the act of who’s popular or not, the jocks (whatever they are called today)… it’s all the same. Who will shoulder the burden of responsibility when a child becomes pregnant? The costs, I don’t need to tell you, you’re likely a parent or smart enough to know that already. It can turn a family’s finances upside down. Not every child will be this way but even the best of parents have struggled and don’t know what to do.
Oh My What’s That?
If we continue to pretend that kids don’t know what’s going on when mom and dad close the bedroom door we are sadly mistaken. If you don’t want to have your child come home and say they are pregnant, got someone pregnant, have a disease or whatever the case, teach them. Maybe a good time would be as soon as they are able to make babies and hormones start raging. If kids want to hide, they will hide and they may go as far as to tell lies whatever it takes to hang out with their friends. Even parents who go to great lengths to teach their kids about sex and protect them find there is only so much you can do short from not allowing them to hang out with friends. I know you want to trust your kids as we would but not all kids like to talk about their feelings, what’s happening inside their body, what boy or girl makes them feel fluttery… with errm…. mom and dad.
We all want to think our little Johnny and Princess Sara are the best kids ever but in actuality you might not know everything that goes on in their lives. I don’t expect everyone to agree or disagree here, really it’s your children, not mine just an interesting article I read. Teaching abstinence is a must but not educating kids about what really happens even though they can figure it out on their own might not be the best route especially when they hit their teens. You know the “explore” stage of life.
Sex Ed In The 80′s
My wife remembers being taught about sex in school when she was around 12-13 but says she already knew and not from experimenting with sex or her parents but from everything around her, magazines, TV programs, friends having sex from a young age of 11, 12 , music etc and you know what, she survived it. She’s happy she was taught about it in school because not all parents are comfortable talking about it and for some parents I’m sure they are happy that the education system is taking the burden from them. In some cultures there is no talking it’s just unspoken word, no sex until marriage, full-stop.
I’ve had my fair share of friends that got pregnant very young and wish they would have not been having sex or used a condom or birth control methods but you know what, what’s done is done. The more education we give to the kids the better prepared they are to make the decision that could potentially change their life. Every parent will have their ideal “age” that they think is appropriate and that’s fine, but be realistic. I made it through knowing about sex and I still don’t have any kids but I speak from my experience as a child and what I believe would have benefited me then. I think we jump to conclusions too fast thinking that if our kids know about sex they will run out and jump into bed with someone. Maybe they will, maybe they won’t but at least they will know how to put on a condom, take a birth control pill or better yet, think twice and say NO, I don’t want to have sex now I want to wait.
- Do you think the booklet was wrong? What is age is age appropriate to learn about sex?
- How did you learn about sex when you were young?
- Did you know people at your school that were having sex at a young age?
- How about now? Do you teach your kids about sex? What do you do? How do you explain it to them?
- Should the education system standardize age appropriate material to be taught each year and how much should a child know by age 13 before they head to high school?
What’s Been Happening at Canadian Budget Binder?
I’ve been super busy with the blog mainly trying to fix broken links from blogs that have moved and broken links from images I used. Just for kicks and giggles I ran a broken link check which I had no idea I could do and found out most of the image links I used broke along with many others. I contacted the company by phone and the manager emailed me a proper credit line to use which didn’t involve a link but also said I didn’t need to credit free stock from them anyhow.
Needless to say I will have my work cut out for me repairing that mess. I’m grateful however that I create some of my own tacky photos in power-point or just take my own photos with a camera. It was a silly error I made not checking the links but now I am going to do that before I publish any posts. New Blogger mistakes, ah well, live and learn I guess. I’m also going to refrain from referencing by link any sites where the owner does not own the domain.
- How do you handle broken links?
- How often do you check and what is the best plugin to use?
- Are there sites that you won’t link to?
Other than that I know I promised a brand new site back in 2012 but that has come to a stand still. I will update you more once I work out more details as I know many of you have emailed me or asked me on Facebook when the new reveal will happen. Other than that we broke the 4000 LIKES on Facebook which I am very happy about and to all my fans… you truly are amazing. Let’s see if we can hit our 2013 target of 5000 LIKES! Thanks for keeping my page going when I’m at work and not around, you truly exemplify what a true fan is all about, caring and sharing. I contributed a post over at Newlyweds on a Budget on Friday so check out what I have to say about “Food Shopping On A Budget”.
Check Out This Weeks Canadian Budget Binder Blog Posts
- The Grocery Game Challenge Feb 25- March 3, 2013 No Means No!
- Soft or Hard Water- Is Your Water Softener Costing You Money?
- Day Care- You Are The Voice Of Your Children
- Becoming A Single Home Owner Part 3- Mortage Options
- Mr.CBB’s Cheesy Ricotta Ball Soup
- Personal Finance Reading List #9- BC Pooled Pension Plan
Canadian Budget Binder Mentions Around The Web
Thank you kindly for sharing my posts with your fans! If you added me and you are not on the list that means I forgot you or I just have no idea! Email me and let me know.
- Frugal Rules
- Reach Financial Independence
- The Outlier Model
- Money Bulldog UK
- Vix Money (Let’s hear it for the Boy!!) Hope you’re having fun on vacation Vix!
- The Frugal Farmer
- The Budgeting Tool
- Laura Loving Life
- The Family Finances
- Eyes On The Dollar
Carnivals- I submitted to a couple this past week.
- Tax Carnival Ecstasy March 1, 2013
- Bankruptcy Canada Feb 27,2013
What People Searched to Find Canadian Budget Binder:
Search terms really help me to understand what people are looking for at Canadian Budget Binder! Any typos below are simply how the person who searched typed it in search, or me Another week of thousands of searches but only a few good ones worth mentioning.
Top Pick: Rogers Professional Haggler- Now I’ve read it all. Is there a new profession of “haggler” that I don’t know about. I wonder how much it pays haha!
- Word For New Beginning In Life- Ha, that’s right CANADIAN BUDGET BINDER LOL… TOOT!
- Free “FULL SIZE” Samples- Wouldn’t be a SAMPLE if it was FULL SIZE now would it be.. wishful thinking although you may get the odd company give out free product coupons.
- How to get into College if you are an Illegal Immigrant In Toronto?- Fill out the paperwork to become a Permanent Resident in Canada like I had to.
- CBB Fishing- I would love to go fishing!
- The best thing about being three- .. never know there could be some brilliant 3-year-old out there doing research on his/her age group
- Four Letter Word for Taxes and Money- Oh, I can think of one haha, love these searches!
- 3 positive dollar store pregnancy tests- I’m gonna say.. pregnant.. final answer!
Are you NEW to Canadian Budget Binder?
- Follow Mr.CBB on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest
- Subscribe to Canadian Budget Binder>> Everyone else has, why wait!
- Do You Have A Question For Mr. CBB? The best way to get in touch with me is on Facebook
- The Saturday Weekend Review #7~ Return Fraud Costs Big Bucks! (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- The Saturday Weekend Review February #6~Well Behaved Kids Score Their Family A Dining Discount! (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- The Saturday Weekend Review #3 January – Are You Really A Mom? (canadianbudgetbinder.com)