Grocery shopping problem number 1, shopping hungry which should be a big no-no for everyone, and I’ll tell you why. This weeks Grocery Game Challenge (GGC)#4 shop was only supposed to be $11.18 or less. We would have accomplished our grocery budget for May but we needed some fresh produce. We did manage to get some really cheap food, but we went over budget again.
Grocery Shop Planning
It’s been such a busy week for us with our dog being ill there wasn’t much meal planning going on so a half arsed grocery list was made last-minute using the flyers and coupon match-ups. I was hoping we could pull off the month of May under budget as we had already carried over from April. I thought with some cheap food shopping and using up what we had that we would make it but we didn’t. It’s a no-win this month but it’s not as bad as you think. I still think we did well.
Trying to buy cheap food on a budget such as fresh foods and vegetables is not that difficult this time of year which makes it easy to do healthy food shopping even when it’s not planned. You will see we managed to get lots of fruits and vegetables this shop as well as a couple of dozen eggs.
We’ve worked so hard to get caught up this week, I’m still not sure I’m going to make it. I’ve already lost a few pounds as I’ve had to tighten a couple of notches in my belt this month. I’m pretty back to my weight when I smoked although I didn’t have much to lose so I won’t moan about it. We’ve been working on eating less like I mentioned in last weeks GGC post and it’s been working well for the both of us.
My Grocery Shopping Problem
My problem is shopping on an empty stomach because my eyes take over and I want to eat everything in sight. Since we didn’t have a full grocery list we ended up buying too much food and now we have more than we bargained for. I will say that Zehrs is by far one of the best grocery stores to shop at when you are hungry. It’s clean, organized and offers us way too many foods and smells that entice us to buy more. I did have a box of Chapman’s ice-cream sandwiches in the grocery cart but I ended up putting it back once I found the cheap Liberte yogurt with %50 off tickets.
Pink sticker shopping is budget grocery shopping at it’s best and even when you shop hungry you know that going over budget is the easiest way to blow the budget. We didn’t do too bad today but I wanted to get strawberries to make some strawberry muffins loaded with a cream cheese and cool-whip (my neighbour gave to us as they cleaned out their freezer and didn’t want it) so I could enjoy one with my tea and bring a couple to our neighbours. (speaking of which I think I might go have a bowl with fresh fruit now)
Shopping hungry at lunch time was probably not the best time to go grocery shopping as my stomach was rumbling. You will see I picked up some great deals on chicken thighs and chicken mince which I didn’t think were too bad of a price. I found lots of food for cheap but it’s a good thing the wife told me enough we better get home as she knew I was hungry.
I’ve just not had good eating practices this week as I should have been so I’m paying the price and I’m not myself this week. I’m trying to get back on track now because shopping hungry is the worst thing I can do especially if saving money on food is your goal. I know this but I did it anyway so shame on me.
Tips For Saving Money At The Grocery Store
My plan to solve shopping hungry is to do the common sense thing and eat something. I’d rather spend a couple of dollars to buy a sandwich and a fruit if I’m on the road and have no snacks with me than to go grocery shopping with a stomach that is rumbling and eyes bigger than head.
If I do go shopping again without eating I’m going to focus on sticking to the plan while keeping healthy food shopping on the brain. I will avoid all snack aisles which we already do but just continue to ignore them like they are not there. Lastly, I think if we reiterate to ourselves in our head why we are purchasing something and why we may or may not need it that will help us come to a proper decision.
Saving money on food shopping always brings with it challenges and this is why the grocery game is so important for us. Without coming back home to go over our shops and our purchases we don’t learn from our mistakes, we just brush them off as if they don’t matter at all.
Question: Do you shop hungry and what tips do you have for others? What is the craziest foods you’ve bought when shopping hungry?
Grocery Game Weeks for May
If you missed grocery game posts for this month just click on the links below and post your shops in the comment section. Today’s post is the last grocery game post for May. Next Monday June 3, 2013 will be the first GGC for June and I will announce the May winner in that post. Good Luck!
- Grocery Game Challenge #1 May 6-12 Getting Back On Track With Food Budgeting
- Grocery Game Challenge #2 May 13-19,2013 Discount Days And Rewards Programs
- Grocery Game Challente #3 May 20-26,2013- Eating Too Much Food
Grocery Saving Tips
Free Money Saving Downloads just for YOU!!! Get organized with a freezer inventory, meal plan, shopping list, price comparison list and much more!!! Click, Save and Print.. It’s that easy~
- Let Your Coupons Expire And Save Money
- Knowing Your Prices Is The Key To Saving Money In The Grocery Budget
- Product Price Adjustments Don’t Miss The Savings
- Scanning Code of Practice In Canada (SCOP)
- How To Start Saving Money On Groceries In Canada?
- How Much Should My Grocery Budget Be?
- Top Ten Ways To Cut Your Grocery Budget
- Meal Planning For The Budget
- The Grocery Game Challenge and Our Grocery Budget
- Grocery Budget Saving Tips
- Food Shopping On A Budget
- 1x 1kg Krinos Feta Sale $13.49
- 3x Packs of Prime boneless skinless chicken thighs $10.00-4.00 each
- 1x Excel gum $2.99
Total Out Of Pocket $34.87
Food Basics #2 Shop
- Sweet Potatoes -$2.50
- 1x Lebanese Whole Wheat Pita $0.99
- 1x Whole Wheat Pita $1.00
- Ground Beef $4.57-$1.37 discount
- 2x Strawberries $1.88 each
- 1x bag of bean sprouts $1.00
- Spring Lettuce tub $3.99-$2.00
- Onion Powder $0.99
- Romaine Hearts 3pk Sale $1.50
Total Out Of Pocket $20.54
- 3x Liberte Yogurt- Sale $3.49- %50 pink sticker
- 6 x Bylos Pita $1.29-%50 pink sticker
- 4x lean ground chicken sale $3.19,$3.14,$3.19,$3.29- 2x $1.00 coupons
- 2x English Cucumber $1.50 each
Total Out Of Pocket $22.04
Shoppers Drug Mart
- 2x eggs Sale $1.99- Buy 2 Save $1.00
- 4x Colgate Total $1.99-$1.50
Total Out Of Pocket $5.97
Yearly Grocery Budget For 2 : $2819.38
- Total Grocery Budget for the Month: $235.00 or $78.33 week with one no-shop week per month or $58.75 for 4 weeks per month. (During the months with 5 weeks we just make it work)
- Total Budget For May: $72.26
- Total Coupons Used this Week : $0
- Total Discounts this Week: $0
- Total Gift Cards Given Used this Week: $0
- Total Rewards Points Used: $0
- Stockpile Budget: $20.00 Used: $0
- Total Spent This Week:$83.42
- Total Spent So Far for (May): $155.68
- Total Over/Under spend this shop: $ N/A
- Total Over/Under spend for the month of (May): $N/A
- Total Left to Spend for the Month: $Over by $83.42
- Total Coupons Used This Month :$6.00+$0+$0+$9.00=$15.00 (month of May)
- Total to Carry Over Next Month : ($83.42-$11.18=$72.24 will be carried over to June)
- Total Spent To Date This Year: $206.95 (Jan)+ $160.77 (Feb) + (March)$169.62 + (April)$397.74+(May) $155.68=$1090.76
- Rendezvous Account: $65.38 (this will be used for a date night or a summer holiday)
Weekly Overview: Well, we tried but we went shopping hungry today and that was a big no-no! We will work on using our own tips for our next shops.
Canadian Coupons Found This Week
Frequently Asked Questions
Grocery Game Challenge RULES….. Read the rules first and if you have any questions email me or comment on this post with your question and someone will answer you as soon as possible.
- Do I have to be Canadian to post my Grocery Shop? No, you don’t have to be Canadian to post your shops only to win a monthly prize. We have a few players from around the world.
- When does the Grocery Game Close each month? The Grocery Game Challenge Closes at Midnight of the last Sunday of the last post for the month. You can post your shops all month-long.
- Does Your Grocery Budget Include Health and Beauty and Laundry? Yes our Grocery Budget includes such items as shampoo, conditioner, laundry soap, fabric softener, dish soap etc. We don’t mind stockpiling items that won’t be effected by expiry dates or have long expiry dates but not so much food any more. It’s just one way to help cut your budget to save money.
- Where can I find Canadian Coupons? Here are your latest Coupon Match-ups of the week including Checkout 51 from 25 Newspaper Inserts around Canada compliments of Save Big Live Better that you can use to help you save money in the Grocery Game Challenge.
- How Do I Know what stores accept coupons? You can find all your store coupon policies here. If you are not sure it’s always best to call the store and ask.
- How Do I Grocery Shop?- I can tell you about grocery shopping and what we do in terms of shopping to save money and how it works for us. There are no wrong or right answers, just smart choices. Over time you will gradually learn where you should and shouldn’t go in the grocery store or at least how to say no, I’m on a budget I don’t need to buy this or that. You may also substitute items in order to stick to your budget to make it work.
- Are you NEW to Canadian Budget Binder?
- Follow Me on Social Media: Twitter, Facebook , Pinterest , StumbleUpon, Reddit and Google+
- Plus! Don’t forget to Subscribe to the blog so you get my daily email!!
- If you need to get in touch with me the best way is on Facebook!
- Hungry? Don’t Go Grocery Shopping! (ivanhoe.com)
- Working Towards A Debt Free Lifestyle In 8 Steps (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- I Can Buy It, But Can I Afford It (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Three Hands And An Action Plan~I’m A Mom On The Go! (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Money and Finance: Why I Care About Financial Literacy (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Financially Savvy Teen Budgets Cash Using The Envelope System! (canadianbudgetbinder.com)
- Bust Our Budget- April 2013 CBB Budget Update #4 (canadianbudgetbinder.com)