Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Tomato Salad with Potatoes, Green Beans, and Chickpeas is perhaps one of our favorite Italian salads year-round.
We always bring this as a healthy yet frugal dish to any backyard BBQs we may go to, and it’s a hit.
This tomato potato salad is a heart-healthy dish, and we like to serve it alongside a protein such as lamb, which we marinate and grill on the BBQ.
Best Varieties For Tomato Salad
If you don’t already know from my many garden posts, we grow many varieties of tomatoes such as …..
- Roma Tomatoes
- Beefsteak Tomatoes
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Plum Tomatoes
- Grape Tomatoes
Originating in South America, the tomato, often called a “vegetable,” is a fruit, although most consider it a vegetable.
Nothing is better than organic tomatoes ripened on the plant for easy summer salads.
Condiments Made From Tomatoes
Tomatoes are also famous in many other dishes and spices such as …..
- Tomato Soup
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Tomato Juice
- Pasta Sauce
- Tomato paste
- Beverages such as the Bloody Mary
Some people even enjoy slicing tomatoes, breading them, and frying them in vegetable oil until crispy outside.
You can mix these little treats with fresh mozzarella and melt them under the broiler.
I always keep our tomatoes out of the refrigerator as I find it affects the taste and texture of the tomato.
When we make a fresh tomato salad, we always let it sit for about 30 minutes to absorb the spices and extra virgin olive oil.
It also helps to build flavor and juices (great for dipping with my Olive Bread).
If you pick tomatoes that are not yet ripe, leave them on a counter at room temperature and eat within 2-4 days for optimal taste.
Believed to benefit the heart, tomatoes also offer carotene lycopene, one of the most potent antioxidants.
We take pride in our tomatoes and enjoy them while we can.
However, if we have more tomatoes than we can eat, we scald them in hot water, peel them, and freeze them in a freezer bag for later use.
Other Tomato Salad Recipe Variations
Different Variations of Tomato Salads you might enjoy are…
- Corn, Potato and Tomato Salad
- Tomato Salad with Fresh Basil, Fennel, and Chick Peas
- Mozzarella and Tomato Salad
- Feta, Tomato, Potato Salad
- Tomato Avocado Salad
- Tomato and Onion Salad
- Tomato Cucumber Salad
Discussion: What types of tomatoes do you grow or enjoy as a favorite?
Please leave your comments below.
Thanks for reading.
How To Make Italian Tomato Salad
Feeds: 6-8 side salad
- 15 minutes to boil potatoes in salted water until cooked but firm
- 15 minutes to boil the green beans, then soak them in ice cubes and water
- Soak Dry Chickpeas overnight, simmer until cooked, chill in water in the refrigerator (or use canned chickpeas) or rinse chickpeas and cover with water in a crockpot for 2 hours on high or instant pot.
- 10 minutes to make salad
- 30 minutes to let the flavors come together
- 3 pots
- cutting board
- 3 large bowls
- 1 cup dry chickpeas
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of red onion minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- dry oregano
- fresh garlic
- fresh basil
- 4 large tomatoes
- 4-6 potatoes
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans
- 1/2 fresh lime
- 4-6 medium-sized potatoes peeled, cubed, and boiled in salted water, then chilled in the refrigerator
- 1/2 fresh green beans boiled in salted water until cooked but still firm, drain then chill in the refrigerator
- Boil in salted water 1 cup of dry chickpeas soaked overnight until cooked, then chill
- Cut 4 large tomatoes into wedges on your cutting board and put juices, seeds, and all in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of dry oregano, 4 cloves of minced fresh garlic, and 6-10 leaves of fresh basil rolled and chopped (2 tablespoons)
- Pour 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil.
- Add 1 teaspoon of pepper to taste and one tablespoon of salt to draw out the flavors and juices.
- Add the juice of half a lime, minced red onion, cooled potatoes, green beans, and chickpeas.
- Mix the salad and taste for flavor.
- Let sit for 30 minutes, then serve your Tomato Salad!