If you have a love affair with the grocery store and are single, I’m going to tell you how to find love while roaming the food aisles.
Most people are looking in all the wrong places for love and doing the deed isn’t going to be your fast-track way to the alter either.
There’s more to finding love than what happens in the bedroom. Sadly the first place that comes to mind for those who want to find love is by going to the bar.
The bar dating scene is so old these days especially with free online dating sites like Plenty of Fish and even apps for your smart phone that it has taken on an entirely new direction.
The problem with the meet at the bar mindset is that it’s always been where people go to enjoy drinks, dance and meet people.
In one sense we are conditioned from the time we are in University and College that the bar scene is where people hook up because that’s where students go to unwind and have fun.
It’s time to think outside of the clubs because there are more places to find love besides the dance floor. Have you ever noticed that most people in a bar have a beverage in their hands when they are talking to people they meet? So, food and drink really is the boundary between two bodies and a great conversation starter.
- Can I buy you a drink?
- What are you drinking tonight I’d like to buy you a drink?
A bar or dance club is a meeting place but the stigma of it being the place where you go to find a quickie one night stand will always be the front-runner.
Plenty of people have a love story to share from meeting at the bar but in 2015 the bar is old school. I may get shot down for this one but there will always be the lovers and haters of the bar scene. I’ve never been fascinated with going to the bars.
Everyone who is single wants to know how to find love and the answer is, love will find you. If you believe in destiny believe that you can meet your true love at the bus stop, the bank and even the grocery store. Have you ever watched the movie Serendipity? I have a million times with my wife!
Meeting people at the grocery store
I’m not going to toot my own horn but I have had the ladies chatting me up while pushing the shopping cart around. I’m guessing it has to do with my British accent but my wife says I’m very handsome so we’ll leave it at that.
Most times I don’t even know the ladies are flirty with me because I’m NOT looking for love. It’s my wife who says, “OMG she was flirting with you and must have thought I was your sister or something.” I do wear my wedding ring!
Whether it’s at the drive-thru while I’m getting a coffee or while I’m picking the best tomatoes in the produce section there always seems to be…. the question.
Sir, Can you help me with this? or the ladies overhear me talking to someone else and they chime into the conversation especially if it’s a little granny I’m talking to or helping.
I’ve come to realize that yes you can definitely meet someone in the grocery store and although I’m not looking for love I can bet there are plenty of people out there who have found just that while checking off their grocery list.
Have you given up on love?
Stop asking yourself “Will I ever find love” because today I’m going to share with you some simple ways to meet people at the grocery store.
Whether you’re a man or a woman you’ve likely thought about falling in love and your ideal love story is waiting to be brought to life.
The problem with this is that we create barriers to falling in love because of set ideals that for most can be way out in left field. You might never find someone that checks off every box on your wish list.
You can’t force love you have to let it creep up on you and then BAM your world will literally be turned upside down. All good though.
I asked the following question on my What’s For Dinner thread on Facebook the other night:
Do you believe one of the best places to meet someone (dating potential) is at the grocery store?
Here are some of their responses:
- Can’t say that I have met a date in the grocery store. Meet a lot of hungry folks there but no dates.- Christine
- Not sure about grocery stores, most people I see there are pretty rushed. I do meet a lot of people at the local farmer’s markets during the growing season. Those are fun with many folks enjoying talking about great food, recipes, prep tips, etc.- Sue
- I guess you could meet somebody at the grocery store but that’s not me.– Della
- I met my husband while driving the lunch truck to construction sites! Food was involved! I started bringing him home cooked food from my house (special just for him) and he was hooked!-Cynthia
- I think it could be potential for meeting a special someone – not such a pressured environment but it just depends on the people I think.-Heather
- I have never met anyone at the grocery store. I have only ever had conversations with adorable elderly ladies.-Amanda
So it seems that the fans do believe that you can find love at the grocery store but for many it’s not for them, they’re not looking or it hasn’t happened yet.
Food is love and any time Mrs. CBB and I have went to parties, backyard gatherings, weddings or baby showers etc. when you bring up food YOU will always have a crowd around you sharing their love for the kitchen.
The best part is if you are a fan of cooking the food conversation is the perfect start to meeting and building a relationship. What’s even better is if you are a man who cooks. Women really do find men who cook sexy!
5 Ways You Can Find Love At The Grocery Store
Accidentally crashing your grocery cart into someone whose attention you may want might not score you points on the love meter but asking the right questions and observation will.
1. Are they married or in a relationship?
The first thing you must do whether you are a man or a woman is… LOOK FOR THE RING. Unless you are planning to have simple conversation with anyone then avoid this question but this post is about finding love so talking to random potentials means doing fast homework.
Don’t just look on the finger either… look around their neck. Many men and women can’t wear their rings any longer as they don’t fit so they loop them on a necklace. Not all married couples wear rings either but if you see one, back away or if you don’t have a legitimate question to ask.
Please don’t assume that the woman who is with them is their mother, sister or any other relative or friend either.
The hardest part is trying to figure out if the gorgeous woman or sexy man pushing the grocery cart is simply taken but not married. BUT, the only way you will find out is if you start a conversation.
It’s easy to tell if someone is taken because they will send the “I’m taken vibe” because they won’t show you the same interest as if they would if they were single. That or you simply might not appeal to them right off the hop.
It happens, people go for looks first because attraction is what brings people together on a sexual level. Not all relationships start out that way either because the mind is always a better conversation than relying on the body. That brings up the old question…Is it Lust or Love?
One of my fans told me about this Singles Shopping Night at a Safeway in the Osborne Village of Winnipeg. I thought it was a brilliant idea because I’ve joked with my wife in the past about dating and the grocery store.
With over 1000 confirmed shoppers from a Facebook event showing up to find love you can bet the place was heating up.
I agree that food makes it easier to approach people in the grocery store because the majority of people unless they hate food and cooking enjoy talking about it.
2. Make eye contact and body language:
Take a breather once in a while and look around because you don’t want to seem like a killer out for blood. Please, don’t lick your lips and act out of character either because that won’t register either.
Just be yourself and the rest will follow.
Too often people try so hard to find love that they may just scare away the person they were meant to be with.
Run your hands through your hair, smile and look at the other person when you talk to them. If you find that your space is heating up or the hands find their way to the hips you may have a potential match.
3. Ask a question or for help
The most obvious thing to do if you want to find love at the grocery store and you spot someone that catches your attention is to ask a question.
There’s nothing wrong with being nosey with what products are in their shopping cart or evaluating what they are doing before you go in with your question.
You can ask someone what a certain food is or how they plan to use it in a recipe. If you want to find out just how much they love food like you do ask about cooking methods.
If they have no clue it’s possible they are clueless in the kitchen. Maybe they are just learning but take the opportunity to dig deeper, share experiences and offer tips of your own even if you are the one who asked the question in the first place.
Just don’t come across as creepy.
Also, don’t give up too much information about your life or what you hope for might end before it even starts. She or he doesn’t need to know that you hate washing dishes so you leave them for a few days until you get to it, if you catch my drift. Sometimes less is more until you get to know each other.
Many couples once they fall in love have no problem dealing with each others habits but don’t dish them up until you need to. You should be accepted for the person that you are but at least give the meeting a chance.
4. Continue the conversation and shop side by side if you can
They say when two people are in love they start to mimic each other even if they don’t know they are doing it. If you find you are both still chatting, smiling and pushing your grocery cart side by side you might be on to something.
5. Carry the conversation to the parking lot
If you are a gentleman you can offer to carry some of her bags or help load them into her trunk but you just met so don’t go overboard. Both of you can hold the door open for each other and don’t forget to keep smiling.
Don’t stalk someone either because if they aren’t interested you might freak them out a bit. You should be able to figure out from body and facial expressions whether someone is into you. If you find they are in a rush or avoiding you, the answer is obvious.
Don’t make it complicated.
Clearly meeting someone is only the first step in dating. It’s only after a date or even two or three that you might decide to continue dating or call it quits.
Just don’t underestimate the power you have as an individual. Not every guy is looking for Miss Perfect and not every woman wants Mr. Muscle. Believe in yourself and really, you have nothing to lose but a few minutes of your time.
If at the end of the conversation you get a name and phone number or you ask for a phone number and get it then it’s your turn to take over because my tips end when you get in your car and drive off.
Good Luck Finding Love or having love find you!
Did you find love or know someone who has by meeting someone at the grocery store? Share your story in the comments or share this post with them. I want to hear their love story.
March grocery game challenge posts
If you missed any grocery game posts for the month I will post the line-up for the month each week here in this section for you.
Join in the Grocery Game Challenge fun and post your grocery shop in the comment section of each blog post… here are the GGC rules!
- How the Food Network helps us to save money- GGC #1 March 2-8, 2015
- How monthly grocery shopping can help your budget- GGC #2 March 9-15, 2015
- The Paleo Diet- Can you afford to eat like this? -GGC #3 March 16-22, 2015
- Family Dinner Ideas that won’t chop your budget- GGC #4 March 23-29, 2015
Grocery Saving Tips
Click, Save and Print. It’s that easy!
Free Money Saving Downloads are awesome lists that were created to get us on track to work towards reaching our budgeting goals and now we are sharing them with you.
I hope you take the time to get back on track and start the savings process in your grocery budget today.
Get organized with a FREE freezer inventory, meal plan, shopping list, price comparison list and much more all for FREE. CLICK HERE to download all the free lists and even our family budget spreadsheet for FREE.
NEW!! You can now download the FREE Canadian Budget Binder Budget Spreadsheet in Excel…Grab it while you can… It’s FREE! We use it to budget and in large part a reason we could pay our mortgage off in 5 years, check it out!
Ultimate Grocery Shopping Guide
If you are new here and haven’t had a chance to read past posts grab yourself a beverage, sit down, relax and enjoy some educational reading material on ways to save money in your grocery budget.
If you missed a Grocery Game Challenge post some of the most popular posts are listed below or you can now find the posts listed on their own page called The Ultimate Grocery Shopping Guide.
If you know a topic that should be discussed send me an email.
2015 Grocery shop results
If you are a foodie like I am you will enjoy going through my Free Recipe Index where recipes from CBB Home Chef Nicola Don and myself are shared every Sunday on the blog. Check it out!
Yearly grocery budget for two 2015: $2820
(The above total does not include the stockpile budget of $240 per year or $25 per month.
Shoppers Drug Mart
- 2 x Neilson Milk 4 Litres $3.97 each
- 2 x Large Eggs Sale $1.77 each
Total out-of-pocket $11.48
- Selection Tortilla Chips $1.99 (Easter Party)
- Marc Angelo Pork Roast $10.99-40%
- 6pk pomegranate $1.29 reduced rack
- 6 pk lemons $1.09 reduced rack
- 6 pk of avocado $1.09 reduced rack
- Yellow onions $2.97
- Carrots $0.97
- Bananas $1.74
- 2 x seedless cucumber $0.67 each
- Red tomato cluster $0.92
- Sweet Potatoes $4.29 and $3.95 for baby food
- Gaylea Sour Cream Low fat $1.49
- 4 x Astro Yogurt Coconut $2.49-$1.00 coupons
Total out-of-pocket $37.88
Points Overview (add any other sections you need to show us your savings)
- Total Grocery Budget for the Month: $235.00
- Total Grocery Budget with any carry-overs $235.00
- Total Gift Cards used to date: $0
- Total Rewards Points redeemed this week: $0
- Total Rewards Points used to date: $20.00
- PC Points Plus Earned to date: 28786
- Scanning Code of Practice (SCOP) to date $0
Coupon Apps (add any other apps you use to save money)
- Snap Groupon to date: $1.50
- Zweet to date: $1.50
- Cart Smart to date: $0
- Checkout51 to date: $1.50
GROCERY SHOP THIS WEEK (add any other sections you need to show expenses and savings)
- Total to spend this month $204.49 (includes overage from February)
- Stockpile budget 2015 ($25.00): (Jan/Feb) $50.00 +$0
- Stockpile budget used this month: $0
- Total coupons used this week: $4.00
- Total coupons used to date: $13.00
- Total in-store discounts this week: $6.60
- Total in-store discounts to date: $140.52
- Total spent this week: $49.36
- Total spent so far this month: $231.02
- Total over/Under spend this shop: $over
- Total over/Under spend for the month: $26.53 over for the month
- Total left to spend for the month: -$26.53
- Total Spent To Date 2015: (does not include stockpile budget) Jan $166.49+ Feb $261.51+ Mar $231.02 + April $
Weekly Overview (your final thoughts): What a great month for shopping considering it was 5 weeks long. I don’t think we did too bad even though we went over by $26.53. Keep in mind we didn’t use our stockpile budget either this month but we didn’t really stock much so that’s fine. Let’s welcome April with a bang…bring on the warmer weather! BBQ will be getting a cleaning very soon.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Grocery Game Challenge RULES: Read the rules first and if you have any questions email me or comment on this post with your question and someone will answer you as soon as possible.
- Do I have to be Canadian to post my Grocery Shop?: No, you don’t have to be Canadian to post your shops only to win a monthly prize. We have fans who post their grocery shop who live all over the world.
- When does the Grocery Game close each month?: The Grocery Game Challenge closes at midnight of the last Sunday of the last post for the month but you will still get a ballot when you post your shops even if they are late but I encourage you to stay on schedule. It’s a proven fact the minute we stop doing something that is scheduled that we end up forgetting to do it all together. Don’t let that be you! You can post your shops all month-long.
- Does your Grocery Budget include health and beauty and laundry products?:
YesNo, our Grocery Budget includes such items as shampoo, conditioner, laundry soap, fabric softener, dish soap etc. As of 2014-2015 we no longer include such items in our grocery budget so we can see actual food numbers at the end of the year so we can plan accordingly for our budget. We don’t mind stockpiling items that won’t be affected by expiry dates or have long expiry dates but not so much food any more. It’s just one way to help cut your budget to save money.
- Canadian Coupons: Where can I find Canadian Coupons?: Here are your latest Checkout 51 offers that you can use to help you save money in the Grocery Game Challenge. There are many great Canadian Couponing websites online that share weekly coupon match-ups so you can plan your grocery list.
- What is an FPC?: An FPC is a free product coupon which means you can get a free product as described on the coupon.
- What is GGC?– The Grocery Game Challenge of course!
- How Do I Know what stores accept coupons?: If you are not sure it’s always best to call the store and ask.
- How Do I Grocery Shop?: I can tell you about grocery shopping and what we do in terms of shopping to save money and how it works for us. There are no wrong or right answers, just smart choices.
Over time you will gradually learn where you should and shouldn’t go in the grocery store or at least how to say no, I’m on a budget I need to buy this or that.
You may also substitute items in order to stick to your grocery budget to make it work. Nobody is perfect, heck we struggle with this part of our budget like many people do.
This is why the grocery game challenge was created to not only show you that we are like everyone else but to bring us all together to work as a team to get our budgets on track.
If you have just joined The Grocery Game Challenge 2015 get ready to dive deep into your grocery budget and learn just where you are spending, how much you are spending and what you are saving.
Feel free to read all the above posts that I linked to above which I feel are relevant to learning about the grocery budget and grocery shopping in general. If you are brave and want to learn everything I know about grocery shopping in Canada check out my Ultimate Grocery Shopping Guide! It’s FREE!
You’ve made a wise decision to take control of your grocery budget now show me your shops and let’s get saving!
Welcome to The Grocery Game Challenge 2015!
Join in and become money savers and take control of your grocery budget.
Are You New To Canadian Budget Binder?
- Follow Me on Social media by clicking any of the buttons below on the blog.
- Don’t forget to Subscribe to Canadian Budget Binder by Email to get my daily email. Once you subscribe you MUST VERIFY your email account so check your spam folder and inbox for that email!
- Check out my new Free Recipe Index
- If you like FREE then click this link for my FREE Excel Budget Spreadsheet and all my Free Money Saving Lists!
Photo Credit: Love hands shopping cart: Freedigitalphotos.net/Nutdanai Apikhomboonwaroot