Who doesn’t love comfort food in the winter especially when you get to eat it with a spoon?
From start to finish I had my Lazy Man Ground Beef Cabbage Roll Soup done and on the table in just one hour.
Since Mrs. CBB eats a Keto diet I kept the cabbage roll soup gluten-free and left out the white rice which was fine with me as I prefer no rice in my cabbage rolls.
However, if you fancy adding rice I would pre-cook the rice and add it after but watch the water consistency as rice will soak it up fast.
These days I find if I want to do anything it has to be in the dead of night but then I miss out on sleep which means finding short-cuts especially with meals.
This is how we roll in the CBB house. (no pun intended, haha)
The Big Cabbage
When I bought this monster head of curly cabbage for only $1.69 we turned it into a couple of delicious cabbage recipes one being my Lazy Man Ground Beef Cabbage Roll Soup.
I had no desire for rolling cabbage rolls at 4 am but I was the one who wanted to buy the cabbage so it was my responsibility for turning it into something delicious to eat.
My friend’s very Hungarian mother years ago told me about freezing cabbage instead of boiling it and how it would save time when making cabbage rolls.
There was no convincing myself to make cabbage rolls using the frozen cabbage method so soup became the center of my universe and to be honest, I love soup.
Eating soup year-round is a specialty of mine and during the winter months in Canada soup is like a must-have for just about everyone.
You’re probably wondering what Lazy Man Ground Beef Cabbage Roll Soup is and there’s no secret apart from the spices I use in my recipe AND the tomatoes.
I switched up traditional ground beef stuffed cabbage rolls and turned them into unstuffed cabbage rolls but in a soup.
Unstuffed cabbage rolls become everything chopped up that you would include in a cabbage roll then put into a pot, slow-cooker or instant-pot.
Time to make a delicious tomato based soup broth for the cabbage roll soup.
Tomato sauce for cabbage roll soup
For the soup broth I made a simple light tomato sauce consisting of whole Italian imported whole San Marzano tomatoes in the can and mild salsa along with a splash of Franks Red Hot sauce and jalapeno chopped up which is optional.
If you don’t like heat you don’t need to add it but I took the seeds out of the jalapeno so it wasn’t hot at all.
San Marzano plum tomatoes are the best tomatoes you can buy in the can and are a bit more pricier but worth the money. You can’t beat the flavour.
Compared to the Roma tomato, San Marzano tomatoes are thinner and more pointed. The flesh is much thicker with fewer seeds, and the taste is stronger, sweeter and less acidic.
In order to create a soup base I added water and two tablespoons of chicken bouillon or if you have the cubes you can use two cubes instead. I also included 1 bay leaf.
How to make lazy man ground beef cabbage roll soup
- 2 kg Ground Beef
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Half Head of Curly Cabbage washed and sliced into thin strips
- 1 can San Marzano whole tomatoes
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 1 whole dry bay leaf
- 1 jalapeno (optional) seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ medium onion minced
- 1 tablespoon salt (add more if needed)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 cups of cold water
- 2 chicken broth cubes or 2 tablespoons granules
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sweetener or sugar of choice
- ¼ cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce (optional)
- In a large pot add extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic and beef. Cook until beef turns colour and drain any excess fat or oils.
- Add your cabbage and stir on medium heat with the ground beef until wilted about 5 minutes
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot. I chopped the tomatoes with a spatula but you can use scissors as well.
- Bring to a boil then simmer on medium for 35 minutes.
- Remove Bay leaf
- Serve hot.
This makes a huge pot of cabbage roll soup which is great if you want to freeze it or are having company over for dinner. Personally I like to portion it and take it to work when I know I’m working late.
Discussion: What do you add to your cabbage roll soup that I didn’t? Share your comments below.