COSTCO KETO CANADA GROCERY SHOPPING COMES WITH BIG SAVINGS
Shopping on a Ketogenic Diet is not as difficult as you may think as our Costco Keto Grocery List will reveal to you.
I’ve read that some people feel the keto diet is expensive when in reality that’s not always the case.
As always do the math and also consider portion sizes when you are buying in bulk from Costco.
- Can I finish the product before it expires?
- Am I able to freeze the product?
I’ve read numerous times online whether the Costco Canada Membership was worth the money.
That answer depends on a few things in my experience:
- Where you live
- How often you shop
- Gas station availability
- Comparable Pricing and Sales
- Costco MasterCard (We don’t have one but use our Canadian Tire Master Card for rewards points)
Since we buy our gas at the store and shop there monthly for our keto groceries it works out great for us.
Our rebate using our executive Costco membership allows us to purchase our membership for free every year.
Once you remove the foods from your diet that you aren’t supposed to eat it pretty much evens out or in some cases lowers your grocery budget.
Related: Are you eating too much food?
Eating Less= Less Money Spent On Groceries
Keep in mind you’re not eating as much and you are regulating the amount and types of foods that fuel you.
For instance, some keto eaters only eat One Meal A Day also known as OMAD.
As your body becomes fat adapted you will be hungry less so you eat fewer meals and snacks.
Keto is not right for everyone but if you want to give it a shot then why not, I did and lost weight.
Related: How Much Does A Ketogenic Diet Cost?
Today, I will be sharing what Costco Keto groceries we buy plus I went through the entire store with our camera for my loyal readers.
I took photos of every product we’ve tried or we’ve seen posted on social media that others have tried.
Once I was done we had over 200 photos and 2 hours of Costco Keto Canada adventures in the books, and that’s only scratching the surface.
If you want to see all of the delicious Keto Recipes we’ve created over the past three years you can find them all on our Free Recipe Index Page.
Losing Weight On A Keto Diet
Combined we’ve lost over 130lbs and I can assure you that the bulk of that is my wife.
I’m a bit of a straggler and procrastinator and just don’t have the willpower to stay the course at times.
Since my doctor did testing on me we’ve moved my diet to a Mediterranean diet.
Although she knew I was trying keto she was monitoring me to see how well my body would adapt.
The Mediterranean diet is a diet inspired by the eating habits of Italy and Greece in the 1960s.The principal aspects of this diet include proportionally high consumption of olive oil, legumes, unrefined cereals, fruits, and vegetables, moderate to high consumption of fish, moderate consumption of dairy products (mostly as cheese and yogurt), moderate wine consumption, and low consumption of non-fish meat products. Olive oil has been studied as a potential health factor for reducing all-cause mortality and the risk of chronic diseases.
I suffer from high blood pressure and cholesterol so for my heart health I’ve changed the way I eat.
This is why it’s important to talk with your doctor about nutrition to see what is right for you based on your health status.
Keto Does Work
My wife, on the other hand, has lost 110lbs as she wanted to rid of the baby weight she gained with our son.
She also set higher goals of slimming down to the weight she was when we first met as she felt her best then.
Even though she is not at her goal weight she plans on staying on the ketogenic diet as it fits her lifestyle.
Our doctor does regular blood tests for her and they check out excellent.
Mrs CBB is part of the lazy keto gang and has been since swapping from low-carb to keto 3 years ago.
She praises her weight loss to a few things:
- Not weighing herself
- Taking lots of photos
- Staying Motivated and Focused
- Intermittent Fasting and Extended Fasting every week/ Tracking with Life App
- Lazy Keto and not stressing about weight loss.
Keto YOUR Way
I realize that not every product that we share today will fit your keto lifestyle and that’s ok.
Recently we watched the video below and I’m sharing it because I want all of you to know that we learn from mistakes.
We get better at what we do by experimenting and education and not by listening to the online Keto Police in this case.
Keto YOUR way.
What Foods To Avoid On A Keto Diet
I don’t think many people realize how comparable the keto diet is to the way most people already eat.
All you’re doing is cutting out the:
- High-sugar fruit (pineapple, apples, oranges, pears etc.)
- Pop and most alcohol, juices
- Starchy vegetables
All of the above once you eat it will send your insulin levels into space which make you crave more carbs.
I often compare it to eating a big meal at a Chinese Buffet and being hungry an hour later.
Way too much sugar and carbs fill you up then you crash and want more.
Essentially what you’re left with almost everything else on your plate.
There are SO MANY Costco Keto products that we couldn’t possibly take snapshots of them all.
Costco Canada Keto Foods
Costco has many great options available for the ketogenic diet which I will share with you below.
At the end of this Costco Keto Canada Grocery post what you should be able to do is;
- Understand a variety of Costco Keto Products are available
- How to read nutrition labels to understand if a product is Keto-friendly
- A typical 3-day Keto meal plan for my wife
- Keto Grocery Shopping List for the week
Making keto grocery shopping easier for those just starting a keto lifestyle is the main focus of this blog post.
Types Of Keto Diets
I know when Mrs CBB first started keto she called it, “low carb” which is slightly different than keto mainly due to net carbs.
Low Carb diet will allow for 50-150 net carbs per day compared to strict keto at 20 net carbs per day.
Honestly, you’ll find variations in numbers when it comes to low-carb, dirt keto and lazy keto around the web.
The one that stays pretty much the same across the board is the clean keto diet at 20 net carbs per day.
There are many various forms of the keto diet but below are the main ketogenic diets:
- Clean Keto Diet or your Standard Keto Diet 20 to 50 net carbs or less, 40 to 60g protein and unlimited fat.
- Dirty Keto Diet allows for eating things like keto snacks, wheat in some ingredients lists, sweeteners such as Splenda. The dirty keto diet follows the same macronutrients as the standard keto diet but it doesn’t matter where you get them from as long as they fit your macro counts for the day.
- Lazy Keto is where you eat 20 net carbs each day but track nothing else.
Costco Keto Shopping List
This past week we completed our monthly grocery shopping filled with Costco Keto products from Costco Canada.
Since we live in Canada so these products are exclusive to Canadians although every Costco may differ in what they carry.
I know that some Costco Canada stores have Macadamia nuts but we have yet to find those big bags of beautiful nuts.
For this guide, I did not include Keto nutrition and pricing however the most important part is sourcing products at your local Costco Canada store.
Once you know what you are looking for you can price each item according to your Costco store and apply it to your grocery budget.
Plus, if you don’t drive you can set up Costco delivery so it comes right to your house.
We haven’t tried this service before as we drive but it’s an alternative.
Costco Keto Canada Dairy and Cheese
- Natrel Salted Butter 1lb
- Salerno Mozzarella Cheese 2kg
- Asiago Cheese
- Tre Stelle Feta Cheese
- La Terra Fina Artichoke Parmesan and Garlic Dip
- Organic Brown Eggs
- Sealtest 35% Whipping Cream 1L
- Sealtest Sour Cream full-fat 2 containers
- Philadelphia Cream Cheese 2 pack
- Mini Bocconcini (mozzarella balls) or they have the larger balls
- So Nice Unsweetened Organic Almond Milk
Costco Keto Canada Deli Meats and Bread
- Casa Italian Genoa Salami 2 pack
- Dimplmeier Power Slice Bread 2 pack
- Cappola Proscuitto
- Pancetta Style Bacon
- Brandt Kolbassa Sausage
- Fresh Additions Chicken Breast Strips 2 pack
Costco Keto Canada Fruits and Vegetables
Before you get into this section on fruits and vegetables I want to say that we buy most of ours at the grocery store.
The reason for this as it’s only the two of us and we watch prices very carefully and follow our grocery budget.
However, the few that we do buy is strictly for costs such as the avocados, spaghetti squash and portobello mushrooms.
Another consideration is with any grocery store the season as the prices and quality do change.
Ideally, do what works for your family and finances but consider how fast you can eat it before it goes off.
A meal plan goes a long way when you shop at Costco or any grocery store for that matter.
- Spaghetti Squash 2 pack
- Alpine Fresh Blueberries
- Kumato Tomatoes
- Italian Zucchini
- Berry Lovers Blackberries
- Wish Farms Raspberries
- Foxy Romaine Lettuce
- Organic Grape Tomatoes
- Select French Green Beans
- Fresh Catania Green Limes
- Alpine Asparagus
- Kirkland Whole Frozen Blueberries
- Kirkland Sliced or Whole Frozen Strawberries
- So Healthy Whole Brussels Sprouts
- Highline Portobello Mushrooms
- Sesame Street Mini Cucumbers (Our son loves these and so do we)
- Central West Strawberries
- Sweet Red, Yellow and Orange Peppers
- Seedless Cucumbers 3 pack
- Sun Drops Sweet Flavour Tomatoes
- Celery Sticks
- Avocados (5) large
Costco Keto Canada Meats
- Organic Lean Ground Beef 3 pack
- Pork St Louis Ribs Sliced
- Kirkland Pork Loin Centre and Rib Chops
- Hot Dog Weiners Kirkland
- Kirkland Lean Ground Beef
- Chicken Wings Kirkland
Costco Keto Canada Nuts and Seeds
- Kirkland Walnuts
- Almond Flour Kirkland
- Nuts and Nature Seed Butter
- Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
- Kirkland Almond Butter
- Pecan Halves Kirkland
- Bass Organic Pumpkin Seeds
- Almond Slices Basse
- Whole Hazelnuts Basse
- Whole Raw Cashews
- Kirkland Organic Chia Seeds
- Basse Brazil Nuts
All these nuts and seeds we buy at Costco are excellent prices and in many cases organic.
Costco Keto Canada Random Grocery Products We Buy
- Chosen Foods Mayonnaise made with Avocado Oil
- Kirkland Double Brie Cheese
- Spinach Dip
- Nutiva MCT oil 2 pack
- Kirkland Organic Salsa
- Nutiva Organic Coconut Creamer
- Mother Earth Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- Greenfield Crumbled Bacon
- Organika Enhanced Collagen
- Rodelle Organic Baking Cocoa
- Tostitos Salsa
- Greenfield Sausage Rounds
- Capolla Proscuitto
- Avocado Chunks Frozen
- Atlantic Salmon
- Genoa Salami
Costco Keto Canada Seafood and Canned Food
- Ocean’s Solid White Tuna
- Kirkland Atlantic Salmon
- Aqua Star Purely Shrimp 4 bags Raw Quick Peel
- Kirkland Chicken Breast in a can
- Pilaros Jumbo Green Olives stuffed with Garlic
Costco Keto Canada Snacks
- Utz Pork Rinds
- Unsweetened Almond Milk Almond Breeze
- Unsweetened Coconut Water
- Simply Protein Bars
- Naturally Original Pepperoni Sticks
- Love Good Fats Bars
- Atkins Bars
- Whisps Parmesan Cheese Crisps
- Oven-Baked Parm Crisps Cheddar Flavour
- Atkins Bars and Love Good Fats Bars $19.99 a box
- Kirkland Almond Flour 2kg $16.99
Costco Keto Canada Oils, Seasonings and Flavourings
- Home Goodness Organic Beef Broth
- Kirkland Organic Tomato Paste
- Organic Coconut Oil Kirkland
- Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil
- Renee’s Mighty Caesar Dressing
- Organic Extra-Virgin Olive Oil 2 pack
- Kirkland Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- Pink Himalayan Salt Kirkland 2 pack
- Real Lemon Lemon Juice 2 pack
- Kirkland Ground Turmeric
- Sir Kensington’s Organic Mayonnaise
- Chosen Foods 100% Avocado Oil
Costco Keto Meat Products
- Kirkland Pork Chops
- Greenfield Bacon Never Ever Antibiotics
- Kirkland Striploin Grilling Steak
- Kirkland Chicken Drumsticks
If you don’t have time to roast a whole chicken Costco Canada has these amazing roasted chickens always hot.
Also, keep a lookout for yesterday’s roasted chicken in the bunker for a reduced price of only $5.99.
Sometimes we buy it and make chicken salad or shred the meat for keto egg drop chicken soup.
Other Costco Canada Keto Products
We spent two hours in Costco trying to get photos of as many keto products that we could, however, we missed lots.
I’d love to hear from all of you in the comments what other Costco Keto foods you buy that I don’t have listed.
If you have photos of the products and would like me to add them to this post you can email me the photo to email@example.com and put Keto Costco Canada photos in the subject line.
On that note, I will type out some other Costco products that might be of interest for keto diet beginners.
As always read the nutrition label for:
- Serving size
- Ingredient list
Sugars To Avoid On A Keto Diet
Make sure there are no fillers and sugars you should be avoiding on a keto diet.
- Coconut sugar
- Maple syrup
- Agave nectar
- Malitol (unless it doesn’t upset your stomach with lots of gas)
I also enjoyed reading this educational post by the Diet Doctor: Keto Sweeteners The Best and The Worst
If you plan on baking with your sweeteners then go for the bulk bag as it will be your best cheapest option.
Our favourite keto sweeteners that we can’t find at Costco Canada are;
- Erythritol or Swerve
- Splenda (Skinny Syrup or Torani (questionable sweetener among keto followers but we use it without issue) You can buy the packets of Splenda at Costco for $24.99 a box.
I will be doing a full Amazon Canada Keto Grocery List so make sure you subscribe to the blog so you get that email notification.
How To Calculate Net Carbs In Keto
Don’t forget to minus the fibre from the carbs per serving to arrive at a net carb count.
So for example, if a product has 5 grams of carbs per serving and 3 grams of fibre the math is 5-3= 2 net carbs per serving. You also minus the sugar alcohols from the carb count as well.
If the product had 5 grams of carbs per serving, 3 grams of fibre and 1 gram of sugar alcohol (good keto sweeteners) then your total net carbs would be 5-3-1 = 1 net carb per serving.
You can also find great apps such as Carb Manager a low-carb, keto tracker that will help you to figure the math out if you’re not confident at the start.
Other Costco Canada Keto Products To Look Out For
I will continue adding photos to this post as I take them so you may see them mentioned twice.
- Whole Cooked Rotisserie Chicken (see pic above)
- Diet Coke (if you drink diet sodas although some like to buy the Coke Zero with stevia which I have not seen yet)
- Organic Chicken Breasts
- Flank Steak
- Wild Sockeye Salmon in the can
- Stuffed Manzanilla Olives
- Bubbly drinks in a can
- Sparkling Water
- Bottled Water
- Coconut Water (see pic above)
- Babybel Cheese and other international cheeses
- Feta Cheese
- Haloumi Cheese (they were out of stock when we went)
- Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- Romano Cheese
- Various other cheeses as they have a huge selection
- Cauliflower Riced in the frozen section
- Shredded Cheese and Bricks of Cheese in the Refrigerated section
- Ground Flaxseed
- Frozen shrimp
- Kirkland Sausages
- Breakfast Sausage Patties (see pic above)
- Coffee varieties galore
- Bick’s Pickles
- Kosher Pickles
- Sardines in the can
- Coconut Flour
I plan to update this post often as I get more pictures from Costco Keto Canada product photos so check back often.
If you have any photos of your favourite keto products from Costco I don’t have listed email them to me and I will add them.
Discussion: What other Costco products do you have on your keto grocery list?
Leave me your comments below and please share this post with your friends if you feel they would enjoy reading it.