COSTCO KETO CANADA GROCERY SHOPPING WITH BIG SAVINGS
Shopping on a Ketogenic Diet is not as difficult as you may think as our Costco Keto Grocery List will reveal to you.
I’ve read that some people feel the keto diet is expensive when in reality that’s not always the case.
Keep in mind that many keto products are already foods you already buy when you grocery shop.
Over the years as a grocery shopping nerd, I’ve managed to find the best prices on products we use every day.
Creating our Costco keto shopping list took some time but now we’re saving money and losing weight at the same time.
Research Keto Products You Purchase Them
Shopping keto at Costco Canada means you need to be armed with four things.
- Keto Meal Plan
- Grocery Budget (Is the ketogenic diet expensive?) not at all.
- Costco Keto Shopping List
- Willpower to not overspend! Ha, easier said than done.
Costco Portion Control When Buying Keto Products
As always do the math and also consider portion sizes when you are buying in bulk from Costco.
- Can I finish the product before it expires?
- Am I able to freeze the product?
I’ve read numerous times online whether the Costco Canada Membership was worth the money.
That answer depends on a few things in my experience:
- Where you live
- How often you shop
- Gas station availability
- Comparable Pricing and Sales
- Capital One Costco MasterCard (We don’t have one but use our Canadian Tire Master Card for rewards points) – Update: Now we have one.)
Since we purchase gas at Costco and shop there monthly for our keto groceries it works out great for us.
Our rebate using our executive Costco membership allows us to purchase our membership for free every year.
Once you remove the foods from your diet that you aren’t supposed to eat it pretty much evens out or in some cases lowers your grocery budget.
Related: Are you eating too much food?
Eating Less = Less Money Spent On Groceries
Keep in mind you’re not eating as much and you are regulating the amount and types of foods that fuel you.
For instance, some keto eaters only eat One Meal A Day also known as OMAD.
As your body becomes fat adapted you will be hungry less so you eat fewer meals and snacks.
Keto is not right for everyone but if you want to give it a shot then why not, I did and lost weight.
Related: How Much Does A Ketogenic Diet Cost?
Costco Keto Shopping List 2020 with Photos
Today, I will be sharing what Costco Keto groceries we buy and other products we add to our keto diet.
I also went through the entire store at Costco with a camera for my loyal readers even if I did look weird.
I took photos of every product we’ve tried or we’ve seen posted on social media that others have tried.
Once I was done we had over 200 photos and 2 hours of Costco Keto Canada adventures in the books, and that’s only scratching the surface.
If you want to see all of the delicious Keto Recipes we’ve created over the past three years you can find them all on our Free Recipe Index Page.
Losing Weight On A Keto Diet
Combined we’ve lost over 150lbs and I can assure you that the bulk of that is my wife.
I’m a bit of a straggler and procrastinator and just don’t have the willpower to stay the course at times.
Since my doctor did testing on me we’ve moved my diet to a Mediterranean diet which is low-carb.
Although she knew I was trying keto she was monitoring me to see how well my body would adapt.
What Is A Mediterranean Diet?
The Mediterranean diet is a diet inspired by the eating habits of Italy and Greece in the 1960s.The principal aspects of this diet include proportionally high consumption of olive oil, legumes, unrefined cereals, fruits, and vegetables, moderate to high consumption of fish, moderate consumption of dairy products (mostly as cheese and yogurt), moderate wine consumption, and low consumption of non-fish meat products. Olive oil has been studied as a potential health factor for reducing all-cause mortality and the risk of chronic diseases.
I suffer from high blood pressure and cholesterol so for my heart health I’ve changed the way I eat.
This is why it’s important to talk with your doctor about nutrition to see what is right for you based on your health status.
Keto Lifestyle Does Work
My wife, on the other hand, has lost 130lbs as she wanted to rid of the baby weight she gained with our son.
She also set higher goals of slimming down to the weight she was when we first met as she felt her best then.
Even though she is not at her goal weight she plans on staying on the ketogenic diet as it fits her lifestyle.
Our doctor does regular blood tests for her and they check out excellent.
Mrs. CBB is part of the lazy keto gang and has been since swapping from low-carb to keto 3 years ago.
She praises her weight loss to many aspects of this lifestyle:
- Not weighing herself
- Taking lots of photos and chatting with like-minded people on Facebook
- Staying Motivated and Focused
- Intermittent Fasting and Extended Fasting every week/ Tracking with Life App
- Lazy Keto and not stressing about weight loss.
- Not Tracking Macros but being mindful of what she eats
- Testing her blood ketones (at first she used the urine sticks which do work until you are fat-adapted)
She’s gone from a size 22 to a size 14 since starting the keto diet and by incorporating fasting has since maintained.
Follow Keto YOUR Way
I realize that not every product that we share today will fit your keto lifestyle and that’s ok.
Recently we watched the video below and I’m sharing it because I want all of you to know that we learn from mistakes.
We get better at what we do by experimenting and education and not by listening to the online Keto Police in this case.
Keto YOUR way.
What Foods To Avoid On A Keto Diet
I don’t think many people realize how comparable the keto diet is to the way most people already eat.
All you’re doing is cutting out the:
- High-sugar fruit (pineapple, apples, oranges, pears, etc.)
- Pop and most alcohol, fruit juices
- Starchy vegetables such as potatoes
The most important message is to, Always Read The Label.
All of the above types of food will send your insulin levels into space which makes you crave even more carbs.
This is why you continue to go back to the kitchen throughout the day looking for snacks.
I often compare it to eating a big meal at a Chinese Buffet and being hungry an hour later.
Way too much sugar and carbs fill you up then you crash and want more.
Essentially what you’re left with almost everything else on your plate.
Keto Products You Can Eat
What Keto Products Can I Eat?
You can read my full blog post here about Keto Food In Our Pantry.
Costco Keto Products Change Often
There are SO MANY Costco Keto products that we couldn’t possibly take snapshots of them all.
I am however interested in using your photos if you’d like to submit them to me, please do.
You’ll find that Costco stocks various keto products at different stores so not all stores carry the same products.
Costco Canada Keto Foods
Costco has many great options available for the ketogenic diet all of which come with great prices.
At the end of this Costco Keto Canada Grocery post what you should be able to do is;
- Understand a variety of Costco Keto Products are available
- Types of Keto Diets
- How to read nutrition labels to understand if a product is Keto-friendly
- A typical 3-day Keto meal plan for my wife
- Costco Keto Grocery Shopping List for one week
Making keto grocery shopping easier for those just starting a keto lifestyle is the main focus of this blog post.
Types Of Keto Diets
When Mrs. CBB first started keto she called it, “low-carb” which is slightly different than keto mainly due to net carbs.
These days she’s exclusively living a keto lifestyle so you’ll find lots of delicious keto recipes on the blog.
A low-carb diet will allow for 50-150 net carbs per day compared to strict keto at 20 net carbs per day.
Honestly, you’ll find variations in numbers when it comes to low-carb, dirty keto, and lazy keto online.
The one that stays pretty much the same across the board is the clean keto diet at 20 net carbs per day.
Popular Keto Diets
There are many various forms of the keto diet but below are the main ketogenic diets:
- Clean Keto Diet or your Standard Keto Diet 20 to 50 net carbs or less, 40 to 60g protein, and unlimited fat.
- Dirty Keto Diet allows for eating things like keto snacks, wheat in some ingredients lists, sweeteners such as Splenda. The dirty keto diet follows the same macronutrients as the standard keto diet but it doesn’t matter where you get them from as long as they fit your macro counts for the day.
- Lazy Keto is where you eat 20 net carbs each day but track nothing else.
Costco Keto Shopping List
This past week we completed our monthly grocery shopping loading up with Costco Keto products from Costco Canada.
Since we live in Canada these products are exclusive to Canadians although every Costco may differ in what they carry.
For example, I know that some Costco Canada stores have Macadamia nuts but we have yet to find them. (Update: We found them.)
Keto Costo Canada Pricing And Nutrition
I did not include Keto nutrition and pricing since the importance is sourcing keto products at your local Costco Canada.
Another reason I did not include prices is that they change often as do ingredients and nutrition labels.
Once you create your keto shopping list you can price each item and apply it to your grocery budget.
Plus, if you don’t drive you can set up Costco delivery so it comes right to your house.
We haven’t tried this service before as we drive but it’s an alternative.
I’ll warn you, have a piece of paper and a pen ready to jot down any keto products you’re interested in as there are loads.
My apologies in advance if you see double photos of a few of the products.
Costco Keto Canada Dairy and Cheese
- Natrel Salted Butter 1lb
- Salerno Mozzarella Cheese 2kg
- Asiago Cheese
- Tre Stelle Feta Cheese
- La Terra Fina Artichoke Parmesan and Garlic Dip
- Organic Brown Eggs
- Sealtest 35% Whipping Cream 1L
- Sealtest Sour Cream full-fat 2 containers
- Philadelphia Cream Cheese 2 pack
- Mini Bocconcini (mozzarella balls) or they have the larger balls
- So Nice Unsweetened Organic Almond Milk
- Kirkland Goat Cheese
- Boursin Cheese
- Portneuf Brie
- Kirkland Double Brie
- Brie Normandie
- Petit Brie President
- Bothwell Old Cheddar
- Old Edinburgh Cheese
- Beemster Classic Gouda Cheese
- Powerful Collier’s Extra Mature Cheddar
- Kerrygold Dubliner Cheese
- Emmental Cheese
- Tre Stelle Feta
- Castello Tickler
- Saputo Provolone
- Galbani Italian Pecorino Romano Cheese
- Balderson Double Smoked Cheddar Cheese
- Bothwell Old Cheddar Cheese
Costco Keto Canada Beverages
Besides Costco having the best prices for bottled water you’ll find many other keto-approved beverages around the store.
Below are keto diet beverages that revolve around nut beverages and cold brew.
We love making keto iced-coffee with instant coffee, unsweetened almond milk, oat milk, or macadamia milk with a keto-approved sweetener.
The oat milk tastes like oats in milk and the macadamia milk taste like milk so we pair them together for iced-coffee.
If Mrs. CBB wants to cut down on her cream usage she takes 1 tablespoon whipping cream or 10% cream and the rest macadamia nut.
Almond milk is nice too but it has a distinct almond flavour which we don’t like in our coffee.
You can also buy the Kirkland Cold Brew in cans if you want to take it on the go.
You’ll find throughout this post that there are other keto beverages that you can buy at Costco so keep scrolling for more.
Let’s have a look at what we’ve found.
All of the below Keto beverages are all unsweetened.
- So Nice Organic Almond Milk
- Kirkland Cold Brew
- Oat Milk Oat Canada
- Kirkland Organic Almond Milk
- Milkadamia Macadamia Beverage
- Almond Breeze Almond Milk
Costco Keto Canada Deli Meats and Keto Bread
- Casa Italian Genoa Salami 2 pack
- Dimplmeier Power Slice Bread 2 pack
- Cappola Proscuitto
- Pancetta Style Bacon
- Brandt Kolbassa Sausage
- Fresh Additions Chicken Breast Strips 2 pack
Related: Homemade Easy Keto Bread
- Keto Unbun (This is the company that provides Pizza Pizza with the Keto Unbun Pizza Crust).
Related: How to make the best keto buns
Costco Keto Canada Fruits and Vegetables
Before you get into this section on fruits and vegetables I want to say that we buy most of ours at the grocery store.
The reason for this as it’s only the two of us and we watch prices very carefully and follow our grocery budget.
However, the few that we do buy is strictly for costs such as the avocados, spaghetti squash and portobello mushrooms.
Another consideration is with any grocery store the season as the prices and quality do change.
Ideally, do what works for your family and finances but consider how fast you can eat it before it goes off.
A meal plan goes a long way when you shop at Costco or any grocery store for that matter.
- Spaghetti Squash 2 pack
- Alpine Fresh Blueberries
- Kumato Tomatoes
- Italian Zucchini
- Berry Lovers Blackberries
- Wish Farms Raspberries
- Foxy Romaine Lettuce
- Organic Grape Tomatoes
- Select French Green Beans
- Fresh Catania Green Limes
Costco Keto Canada Fruits and Vegetables
- Alpine Asparagus
- Kirkland Whole Frozen Blueberries
- Kirkland Sliced or Whole Frozen Strawberries
- So Healthy Whole Brussels Sprouts
- Highline Portobello Mushrooms
- Sesame Street Mini Cucumbers (Our son loves these and so do we)
- Central West Strawberries
- Sweet Red, Yellow and Orange Peppers
- Seedless Cucumbers 3 pack
- Sun Drops Sweet Flavour Tomatoes
- Celery Sticks
- Avocados (5) large
- Naked Leaf Lettuce
- Portobello Mushrooms
- Mini Bella Mushrooms
- White Mushrooms
- Baby Cucumbers
- One Bite Cucumber Poppers
- Green Baby Zucchini
- Yellow Beans
- Sweet Broccoli Tenders
- Broccoli Florets
- Brussels Sprouts
- Fresh Cut Celery
- Cauliflower Florets
- Earthbound Farm Organic Spinach
- Earthbound Farm Organic Spring Mix
- Earth Genius Arugula Roquette
- Tanimura Antle Romaine Lettuce Hearts
- Mixed Colours Long Chef Sweet Peppers
- Sunset Kumato Brown Tomatoes
- Mucci Sundrop Tomatoes
- Organic Avocado
- Spaghetti Squash
- Butternut Squash
Costco Keto Canada Meats
- Organic Lean Ground Beef 3 pack
- Pork St Louis Ribs Sliced
- Kirkland Pork Loin Centre and Rib Chops
- Hot Dog Weiners Kirkland
- Kirkland Lean Ground Beef
- Chicken Wings Kirkland
- Kirkland Ground Turkey Mince
- Brome Young Duck
- Kirkland Ham
- Noah’s Summer Sausage
- Goikoa Chorizo Sausage
- Brandt Kolbassa
- Zabiha Halal Chicken
- Costco Beef Roast
- Kirkland Ground Turkey
- Kirkland Beef Weiners
- Best Meats Lean Ground Beef
- Atlantic Salmon
- Jumbo Shrimp
Costco Keto Canada Nuts and Seeds
- Kirkland Walnuts
- Almond Flour Kirkland
- Nuts and Nature Seed Butter
- Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
- Kirkland Almond Butter
- Pecan Halves Kirkland
- Kirkland Macadamia Nuts
- Bass Organic Pumpkin Seeds
- Almond Slices Basse
- Whole Hazelnuts Basse
- Whole Raw Cashews
- Kirkland Organic Chia Seeds
- Basse Brazil Nuts
All these nuts and seeds we buy at Costco are excellent prices and in many cases organic.
Costco Keto Canada Random Grocery Products We Buy
- Chosen Foods Mayonnaise made with Avocado Oil
- Kirkland Double Brie Cheese
- Spinach Dip
- Nutiva MCT oil 2 pack
- Kirkland Organic Salsa
- Nutiva Organic Coconut Creamer
Costco Keto Canada Random Groceries
- Mother Earth Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- Greenfield Crumbled Bacon
- Organika Enhanced Collagen
- Rodelle Organic Baking Cocoa
- Tostitos Salsa
- Greenfield Sausage Rounds
- Capolla Proscuitto
- Avocado Chunks Frozen
- Atlantic Salmon
- Genoa Salami
- Asiago Cheese
- Pork Belly (Meat dept bunker)
- Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- Hungry Buddha Keto Bars
Costco Keto Canada Seafood and Canned Food
- Ocean’s Solid White Tuna
- Kirkland Atlantic Salmon
- Aqua Star Purely Shrimp 4 bags Raw Quick Peel
- Kirkland Chicken Breast in a can
- Pilaros Jumbo Green Olives stuffed with Garlic
- Ocean’s Solid White Tuna
- Ocean’s Flaked Light Tuna
- Goldseal Wild Mackerel
- Kirkland Chicken Breast In A Can
- Kersen Sardines
- Ocean’s Sockeye Salmon
Costco Keto Canada Snacks
- Utz Pork Rinds
- Unsweetened Almond Milk Almond Breeze
- Unsweetened Coconut Water
- Simply Protein Bars
- Naturally Original Pepperoni Sticks
- Love Good Fats Bars
- Atkins Bars
- Whisps Parmesan Cheese Crisps
- Oven-Baked Parm Crisps Cheddar Flavour
- Atkins Bars and Love Good Fats Bars $19.99 a box
- Kirkland Almond Flour 2kg $16.99
- Rhythm Organic Cauliflower Bites
Costco Keto Canada Oils, Seasonings and Flavourings
- Home Goodness Organic Beef Broth
- Kirkland Organic Tomato Paste
- Organic Coconut Oil Kirkland
- Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil
- Renee’s Mighty Caesar Dressing
- Organic Extra-Virgin Olive Oil 2 pack
- Kirkland Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- Pink Himalayan Salt Kirkland 2 pack
- Real Lemon Lemon Juice 2 pack
- Kirkland Ground Turmeric
- Sir Kensington’s Organic Mayonnaise
- Chosen Foods 100% Avocado Oil
New! This is Everything But The Bagel Seasoning at Costco Canada.
Also, you can make your own Everything But The Bagel Seasoning with my simple recipe if you choose not to buy it.
Costco Keto Meat Products
- Kirkland Pork Chops
- Greenfield Bacon Never Ever Antibiotics
- Kirkland Striploin Grilling Steak
- Kirkland Chicken Drumsticks
If you don’t have time to roast a whole chicken Costco Canada has these amazing roasted chickens always hot.
Also, keep a lookout for yesterday’s roasted chicken in the bunker for a reduced price of only $5.99.
Sometimes we buy it and make chicken salad or shred the meat for keto egg drop chicken soup.
More Random Costco Canada Keto Products
We spent two hours in Costco trying to get photos of as many keto products that we could, however, we missed lots.
I’d love to hear from all of you in the comments what other Costco Keto foods you buy that I don’t have listed.
If you have photos of the products and would like me to add them to this post you can email me the photo to email@example.com and put Keto Costco Canada photos in the subject line.
On that note, I will type out some other Costco products that might be of interest to keto diet beginners.
I will also add new Keto Finds below as they become available to me.
- Kirkland Macadamia Nuts
- Kirkland ExtraLean Cooked Ham
- Simply Green Soup
- Double-Pack Boursin Garlic and Fine Herbs Cream Cheese
- Sealtest 10% cream
- Kirkland Extra Jumbo Peanuts
- Power Slice Bread by Dimpflmeier
- Baby Cucumbers
- Fresh Asparagus
- Nutiva Organic Coconut Creamer
- Crepini Egg Thins
- Prova Vine Tomatoes
- Gatorade Zero
- Schneiders Juicy Jumbos Hot Dogs
- Saputo Swiss Cheese
- Saputo Harvarti Cheese
- Garlic Sausage
- Babybel Cheeses
- Kerrygold Cheese
- Mio sugar-free water flavours
- Bocconcini Cheese Balls
- Ricotta Cheese
- Feta Cheese
- Lilydale Pre-cooked Turkey Breast
- Hot Salami
- Good Fat Bars – New Flavours Plant-Based
- NEW!!! 14 Pack of Quest Bars
- Moon Cheese
- Roasted Almonds
- Smart Sweets sugar-free candy
- Rio Solid White Tuna in Olive Oil
- Galbani Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- Grassfed Angus Burgers (frozen)
- 2lb Lean Ground Beef (frozen)
- Crepini Egg Wraps
- Moishes Steakhouse Pickles (fermented in the refrigerator section)
- Wildbrine Raw Organic Sauerkraut (refrigerated)
- Kirkland Medium, Old and Mild Cheddar (refrigerated)
- Strub’s Pickled Eggs
- Kirkland Real Crumbled Bacon
- Bubly Flavoured Water Assorted case of 24
- Oat Canada Oat Drink (0g sugar added) – Be on the lookout soon for Sugar-free chocolate Oat and Oat Ice-cream
- Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener
- Shakti Prse Desi Ghee
- Rodelle Pure Organic Vanilla Extract Madagascar Bourbon
- Mountain Peak Mix (Miked Nuts)
- Ocean’s Wild Pink Salmon
- Zarotti Light Tuna Fillets
- Frank’s Red Hot Sauces
- Organic Seaweed
- Quest Bars (again)
Reading Nutrition Labels Is Critical
As always read the nutrition label for:
- Serving size
- Ingredient list
Sugars To Avoid On A Keto Diet
Make sure there are no fillers and sugars you should be avoiding on a keto diet.
- Coconut sugar
- Maple syrup
- Agave nectar
- Malitol (unless it doesn’t upset your stomach with lots of gas)
- Cane Sugar
I also enjoyed reading this educational post by the Diet Doctor: Keto Sweeteners The Best and The Worst
If you plan on baking with your sweeteners then go for the bulk bag as it will be your best cheapest option.
Best Keto Sweeteners
Our favourite keto sweeteners that we can’t find at Costco Canada are;
Update Aug 2020: Monkfruit by Lakanto is now at Costco Canada.
- Erythritol or Swerve
- Allulose double pack 400g each or a single pack Allulose 400g
- Splenda (Skinny Syrup or Torani (questionable sweetener among keto followers but we use it without issue) You can buy the packets of Splenda at Costco for $24.99 a box. If you live near a Marshall’s, Winners, Home Outfitters they also carry the Syrups).
I will be doing a full Amazon Canada Keto Grocery List so make sure you subscribe to the blog so you get that email notification.
How To Calculate Net Carbs In Keto
Don’t forget to minus the fibre from the carbs per serving to arrive at a net carb count.
So for example, if a product has 5 grams of carbs per serving and 3 grams of fibre the math is 5-3= 2 net carbs per serving. You also minus the sugar alcohols from the carb count as well.
If the product had 5 grams of carbs per serving, 3 grams of fibre and 1 gram of sugar alcohol (good keto sweeteners) then your total net carbs would be 5-3-1 = 1 net carb per serving.
You can also find great apps such as Carb Manager a low-carb, keto tracker that will help you to figure the math out if you’re not confident at the start.
Other Costco Canada Keto Products To Look Out For
I will continue adding photos to this post as I take them so you may see them mentioned twice.
- Diet Coke (if you drink diet sodas although some like to buy the Coke Zero with stevia which I have not seen yet)
- Organic Chicken Breasts
- Flank Steak
- Wild Sockeye Salmon in the can
- Stuffed Manzanilla Olives
- Sparkling Water
- Bottled Water
- Babybel Cheese and other international cheeses
- Feta Cheese
- Haloumi Cheese (they were out of stock when we went)
- Romano Cheese
- Various other cheeses as they have a huge selection
- Cauliflower Riced in the frozen section
- Ground Flaxseed
- Frozen Shrimp
- Kirkland Sausages
- Coffee varieties galore
- Bick’s Pickles
- Kosher Pickles
- Sardines in the can
- Coconut Flour
I will update this post as I get more pictures of Costco Keto Canada product photos so check back often.
If you have photos of your favourite keto products from Costco I don’t have listed email them to me and I will add them.
Discussion: What other Costco products do you have on your keto grocery list?
Leave me your comments below and please share this post with your friends if you feel they would enjoy reading it.