Keto Cream Of Mushroom Soup On The Table In 30 minutes
This 30-minute Creamy Keto Mushroom Soup is also Gluten-Free and Low-Carb but most of all tastes so good.
Like most people, I often find myself craving comfort foods this time of year when the chill sets in.
It’s the perfect hearty keto soup filling during the cold Fall and winter months for lunch, brunch, or dinner.
Dairy-Free Keto Cream Of Mushroom Soup Options
For a dairy-free keto cream of mushroom soup, you can substitute the cream for macadamia nut milk, oat milk, coconut milk, or almond milk.
Personally, I’d go for coconut milk or macadamia nut milk, both of which are our favourites.
We find that almond milk and oat milk have a strong flavour that distinctively changes the tastes of foods.
To thicken the keto cream of mushroom soup, I used a teaspoon of xanthan gum which you can buy on Amazon or at the grocery store.
Recommendations For This Keto Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- Immersion Hand Blender – The immersion blender is one of my prized frugal kitchen tools as I use it for so many recipes. It’s worth the investment 100%.
- Glass Measuring Cups are great for easy measuring, hot and cold liquids, and most of all easy pouring. We have a set of 3 glass measuring cups of various sizes. Another great investment for your kitchen.
- Soup Ladle is essential for every kitchen and will last you a lifetime.
Types Of Red Low Carb Wine
I added two tablespoons of a dry red wine that my father-in-law made for the traditional cream of mushroom taste.
Dry wines are acceptable on a low-carb diet, with many coming in at 1-2 net carbs for 5 oz, according to Virtalhealth.com.
Here are some low-carb common dry wines (with roughly 1-2g carbs per 5oz):
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Pinot Noir
- Sauvignon Blanc
You can leave the wine out and add two tablespoons of water instead if you’d prefer not to use it.
The wine adds 2.6 grams of carbohydrates to the recipe, which is not much at all.
How To Make Creamy Mushroom Soup
The entire Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup comes together in one pot and a bowl, making cleaning super-easy.
That’s the way I like it, and it’s a quick soup recipe for those weekday nights, or you can prepare and freeze it in advance.
Note: If you use a classic blender, make sure to fill it halfway and blend in batches as the soup will be hot.
Making The Broth
You can make a keto chicken bone broth as we have in the crockpot or instant pot or buy it pre-made.
We make it once a month and store it in our freezer, and defrost it as needed for soup recipes.
Occasionally, on hand in our pantry, we will have organic chicken bone broth powder as well as beef bouillon cubes.
If you are eating a keto diet, keep in mind the ingredients for pre-made broths in cans and boxes.
To keep the recipe vegetarian, you can use vegetable scraps (we collect them in our freezer for our bone broth) and simmer in the crockpot.
This recipe calls for 4 cups or 1 litre of chicken bone broth.
At the same time, taste for salt content is based on what you are using. Although my recipe has a bit of salt, you may need to add more to suit your needs.
Cooking The Mushrooms
I used 4lbs of white mushrooms, but you can use any mushroom that you like to make keto mushroom soup.
To clean mushrooms, I peel them, but you can use a mushroom brush to clean them.
I saute the mushrooms with two tablespoons of butter melted in a pot along with 1/2 cup of chopped white onion and two cloves of minced garlic.
Add two tablespoons of dry red wine.
Once the mushrooms turn a golden colour and have softened, the real magic begins bringing the keto cream of mushroom soup together.
The entire process should take 5-7 minutes.
Some other types of mushrooms to substitute if you don’t care for white mushrooms might:
If you forage mushrooms, this is the perfect mushroom soup recipe for your mushroom haul.
Recently we foraged shaggy mane mushrooms, which we could have used if we found more than 5 of them.
This year has been slow foraging mushrooms in our area; however, we didn’t get out as far as we’d like to.
Although, this time of year, there are loads of Ontario wild edible mushrooms you can forage depending on where you live.
Also, you need to be vigilant when foraging mushrooms because they can be poisons and kill you if you aren’t mushroom-educated.
Wild Mushrooms Of Ontario
Some of our favourite wild edible mushrooms in Ontario are:
- Chicken Of The Woods
- Common Puffball Mushroom
- Giant Puffball
- Golden Chantrelle
- Hedgehog Mushroom
- Hen of The Woods
- Horn of plenty (aka black chanterelle, black trumpet)
- Lion’s mane
- Lobster mushroom
- Oyster Mushrooms
This is an excellent mushroom book, “Wild Edible Mushrooms Of Ontario,” that we have from my father-in-law, who was passionate about foraging.
Incorporating Remaining Ingredients
Once the mushrooms are done, go ahead and add the chicken broth and bring it to a boil.
Add 2 cups of whipping cream and stir it in, then remove four mushroom soup ladles into a container.
Using your immersion blender on high, blend the mushrooms into a creamy mushroom soup.
Add that back into the pot of remaining cut mushrooms and creamy broth.
By doing this, you add more creamy broth, so each bowl gets equal amounts of the broth and sliced mushrooms.
Add 1 tsp of xanthan gum to the soup, mix it through, and then bring it to a boil, then reduce to medium for 5 minutes.
The soup will thicken in about 5 minutes; however, you can leave the xanthan gum out if you don’t prefer to thicken the soup.
Check your salt and pepper before serving to make sure it suits your taste.
You can always add but never take away.
Other Keto Soup Recipes To Try
- Keto Roasted Tomato Soup
- Chicken Cabbage Soup Keto
- Slow Cooker Beef Vegetable Soup Keto
- Keto Egg Drop Soup
- West African Peanut Soup Keto
And many more keto soup and other keto recipes found on Canadian Budget Binder at The Free Recipe Depot.
How Many Carbs Are In Keto Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Keto Mushroom Soup Nutrition
Nutrition 5.4g carbs, 1g fibre, 195 cal per serving (6) servings, so 3.4g net carbs per serving
As a side note, remember that the macros may change based on the ingredients you use for your recipe.
Based on that, it’s a good idea to track your macros based on the products you use.
Lastly, if the soup is not salty enough for you, add more salt. It’s easier to add than take away.
- 4lbs white mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 4 cups of chicken bone broth stock
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsps butter
- 1/2 cup minced white onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1tsp of dry thyme
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tbsps dry red wine (optional or add water instead)
- 1 tbsp Worchestershire
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- I used 4lbs of white mushrooms but you can use any mushroom that you like to make keto mushroom soup.
- To clean the mushrooms I peeled them but you can use a brush to clean them however I prefer to peel them.
- With two tablespoons of butter melted in a pot along with 1/2 cup of chopped white onion and 2 cloves of minced garlic, I saute the white sliced mushrooms.
- Add 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper, and 1 tablespoon of dry thyme.
- Add the two tablespoons of dry red wine.
- Once the mushrooms turn a golden colour and have softened the real magic begins to bring the keto cream of mushroom soup together for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring it to a boil.
- Add 2 cups of whipping cream and stir it in followed by removing 4 ladles of the mushroom soup into a container.
- Using your immersion blender on high blend the mushrooms into a creamy mushroom soup.
- Add that back into the pot of remaining cut mushrooms and cream broth.
- By doing this you add more creamy broth so each bowl gets equal amounts of the broth and sliced mushrooms.
- Add 1 tsp of xanthan gum to the soup and mix it through and then bring it to a boil then reduce to medium for 5 minutes.
- The soup will thicken in about 5 minutes however if you don’t prefer to thicken the soup you can leave the xanthan gum out.
- That’s it.
- Adjust salt and pepper as needed.
- Add 4oz of cream cheese if you want it even creamier.
Storing Soup Leftovers
If you make my Keto Cream Of Mushroom Soup, let me know what you think about it in the comments below.
Don’t forget to rate it, and feel free to share it on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.