Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
At the end of May, rhubarb is in season for Ontarians and in abundance. Keto Rhubarb Muffins are gluten-free, sugar-free, and super moist.
Our garden has one giant rhubarb plant that has been generous to us for the past 16 years.
We estimate the plant to be around 25 years old and likely planted when the first year the home was habitable.
What we love about our rhubarb plant is that it repeatedly grows the biggest, juiciest, tangy stocks during the growing season.
Often we use what we need, freeze some and gift the rest to friends and family who jump at the chance.
I made gluten-free, low-carb, keto rhubarb muffins with hints of almond extract and slivers.
The recipe is straightforward and can be adapted to your preference, so let’s get baking.
Basic Almond Flour Muffins
I’ve been baking with almond flour for years to create a crust for pies and bars and to make cookies.
I realized that they all began with a simple almond flour batter when I made keto muffins.
Using almond flour is fantastic for anyone on a gluten-free, keto, or low-carb diet.
The muffin is also sugar-free, making it perfect for someone with diabetes or avoiding sugar.
The Difference Between Almond Meal and Almond Flour
In some cases, almond meal is made out of the whole raw almonds, while almond flour is made from peeled almonds.Bob Mills Almond Flour
Variations Of Rhubarb Muffins
The almond muffin base is essential and can be used for almost all keto muffins.
For example, add sugar-free chocolate chips with chopped rhubarb for extra pizzazz.
Other options might be the following, although there are so many more.
- Ginger and Rhubarb Muffins
- Strawberries and Rhubarb Muffins
- Rhubarb Muffins With Pecans and white glaze
- Plain Rhubarb Muffins
- Bananas and apple pairings are other options for those not on a low-carb, keto diet.
- Streusel topping is extra delicious
- Rhubarb and orange peel muffins
- Blueberry and Rhubarb Muffins
Costco and Amazon Canada are the best places to find vital keto ingredients.
I’ve also found many ingredients at grocery stores, but often the prices are higher.
Other Rhubarb Recipes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cheesecake Bars
- Easy Keto Strawberry Rhubarb Custard Bars
- Summer Rhubarb Salad With Toasted Cashews
- Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Seed Jam
- Rhubarb Cherry Applesauce
- Classic Rhubarb Pie With Meringue
- Rhubarb Blueberry Sauce With Protein Pancakes
How To Make Keto Rhubarb Muffins
I made the recipe in a large bowl and one small bowl and used a jumbo muffin tray.
It’s important to slice and dice the rhubarb thin so the fruit cooks quickly with the batter.
I used fancy brown liners purchased on Amazon because I wanted them to look like bakery-style muffins.
You can use large muffin liners if you don’t have the same ones I’ve used.
Since I am adding fruit to the almond muffin recipe, I added 1/4 cup of coconut flour.
The coconut flour soaks moisture from the rhubarb, so the muffin does not bake with a wet centre.
Leave the coconut flour if you do not include fruit in the almond flour batter.
I filled the liners as fully as possible, and although they rose, they stayed flat.
The rhubarb muffins are lightly sprinkled with sugar-free confectioners sugar for extra sweetness.
You’ll notice I didn’t add much Stevia (ground in a coffee grinder) to the recipe, but you can add more.
What Is Rhubarb?
Rhubarb is a perennial spring vegetable with pink thick stalks that are tart and used in various recipes.
Belonging to the buckwheat family, botanically, rhubarb is a vegetable used as a fruit.
Even I thought it was a fruit until I did some research.
I also discovered that rhubarb is a laxative containing “anthraquinone,” which helps empty the bowels.
Low in fat, carbohydrates and a rich antioxidant, rhubarb offers anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
You’ll notice that the rhubarb when baked into the muffins turn a light pink and don’t stay red.
If you add thin slices of red rhubarb to the tops before baking they should add some colour.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- 6-cup jumbo muffin tray or 12 Large muffins
- Fancy brown muffin liners
- Yield 6 jumbo or 12 large muffins.
- Baking Time 25-30 minutes
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp organic cinnamon
- 2 oz softened cream cheese
- 3/4 cup sugar-free confectioners sugar plus 1 tbsp for topping
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond slices
- 2 cups sliced thin and diced fresh rhubarb
- Line a muffin tin with six jumbo or 12 large muffin liners and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the cream cheese, yogurt, eggs, almond extract, vanilla extract, and cinnamon in a bowl. Mix with a hand mixer until combined, or use a stand mixer.
- Mix the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, salt, and confectioners sugar in a large bowl.
- Fold the rhubarb into the wet batter.
- Pour the wet batter into the dry batter and mix with a spatula until combined.
- Add the almond slices and fold them into the batter to distribute evenly.
- Fill the muffin liners to the top using a large ice cream scoop.
- Optional- Add slices of thin rhubarb to the top for added colour and texture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then remove the muffins to a cooling rack for 15 minutes.
- When completely cool sprinkle with confectioners sugar over the top using a mini strainer.
Store the muffins in the refrigerator up to three days or freeze up to two months.
Add a drizzle of sugar-free icing to the tops or a crumble made from mixing sweetener, butter and almond flour.
If you try this recipe, please leave me yoru review below and PIN it on Pinterest.
Sorry I do not add nutritonal info any longer as I’m not a nutritionist or dietician.
Thanks for stopping by,