Keto Mini Corn Cobs Chowder with bacon and cheese begins with one can of mini corn cobs.
You can have canned mini corn cobs on a low-carb or keto diet, frozen or canned.
Using Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries on a keto diet is acceptable but comes with natural sugars.
The same happens with some vegetables, such as these mini cobs of corn, but they are very low carb.
I’ll explain more about mini corn cobs as we go through the Keto mini corn cob chowder together.
Let’s get cooking, so you’ll have lunch or dinner ready in no time.
Are Mini Corn Cobs Keto?
I’m sure that’s the question many of you are wondering, and yes, mini corn cobs are low-carb.
Mini corn cobs are unlike corn on the cob, as they are picked before pollination.
Imported from Asia, where they have large farming land, mini corn cobs are processed, canned and shipped worldwide.
You may have eaten mini corn cobs in some of your favourite Chinese food dishes, such as beef and mixed vegetables.
DIFFERENT THAN TRADITIONAL CORN: Contrary to what one might think, mini corn cobs are not a variety of traditional corn on the cob.
They are miniature corn cobs that are picked at the very beginning of the season, prior to the pollination period.
While corn is grown locally, mini corn cobs are generally imported from Asia given the large amount of adapted farming land.M’Lord Mini Cob Corns
Mini Corn Cobs Nutritional Values
Mini cob corns are loaded with nutrition and minerals and contain only 25 calories for eight mini cobs.
The ingredients listed in one can of M’Lord Mini Corn Cobs are corn, water, salt and citric acid.
Canned mini corn cobs are perfect as a healthy snack, in a salad or turned into Keto Mini Cob Soup.
For years we had never considered corn until a friend suggested we check the mini cobs.
To our surprise and maybe yours, they fit into our macros and contain antioxidants, fibre and potassium.
These little mini corn cobs also pack a vitamin punch with B1, B3, B5, and C.
How do mini corn cobs taste?
The mini corn cobs taste like corn, but on a miniature scale, so I thought the cobs would make a fantastic keto mini corn cobs chowder.
How To Make Keto Mini Corn Cobs Chowder
How To Reduce Net Carbs
The recipe took me 20 minutes to prep the ingredients and 30 minutes to cook until thickened.
I created this recipe to make four cups of mini corn cobs chowder soup topped with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt.
The total net carbs for this pot of chowder is 29.01 net carbs divided by 4 (1 cup) servings of 7.25 net carbs.
Serve bowls with 1/2 cup corn chowder for 4.83 net carbs each.
You can slim the net carbs by adding a cup of water to the soup with too strong of a flavour.
Another option is to reduce the number of fresh herbs to cut back on more net carbs.
Lastly, reduce the cheese or leave out the Parmigiano cheese to reduce net carbs.
There are plenty of options to reduce net carbs if you want to fit this chowder into your macros.
It stores for up to 4 days in the refrigerator, or you can freeze it for up to 3 months.
The printable version is at the end.
Keto Mini Cob Corn Chowder Ingredients
- 1 can mini cob corns
- 3 cups of homemade chicken bone broth or Organika chicken bone broth (our favourite)
- 1 half pound of bacon cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup of onion chopped
- 2 ribs of fresh celery chopped
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp dried Thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup 35% or 10% cream
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- Add salt to taste (I start with 1 teaspoon)
- 2 cups grated old cheddar or your favourite cheese
- 1/4 cup of fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 tbsp homemade sugar-free maple syrup or store-bought sugar-free maple syrup.
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum (thickener, Kosher, Gluten Free)
- In a deep pot on medium heat, add bacon and cook until crispy, then remove from the pot reserving 1 tbsp of bacon grease.
- Leave one tablespoon of bacon grease in the pot to saute the minced garlic, celery and chopped onion for two minutes.
- Prep bone broth (I added all fresh herbs into the bone broth) basil, chives, parsley, pepper and dried Thyme.
- Empty and drain a can of mini corn cobs and chop each into pieces. Set aside four mini cobs chopped.
- Add the chopped mini corn cobs (reserve four mini corn cobs chopped for later in the recipe)
- Into the pot, add the bone broth and stir together.
- Sprinkle xanthan gum and stir until it dissolves (one minute)
- Bring the pot to a boil to soften the vegetables for 5 minutes
- Add the cream, sugar-free maple syrup, grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and cheddar cheese and stir it together
- Using an immersion hand blender, blend the ingredients in the pot until smooth
- Taste for flavour and add salt as you prefer
- Add the remaining mini cob corn pieces into the pot with the crispy bacon and stir.
- Let reduce on low for 30 minutes and serve
Serve hot, adding a dollop of sour cream or full-fat Greek yogurt; however, I prefer it with no topping.
Other Keto Recipes
- Quick Veal Vegetable Soup (Keto, Low-Carb)
- Italian Wedding Soup
- Keto Chili On The Stove-Top
- Cheesy Spaghetti Squash With Meat Sauce
- Quick Keto Cream of Mushroom Soup