I don’t usually buy Canadian grass-fed veal or beef raised without the use of hormones unless it’s reduced by 50%.
If you don’t use the FlashFood App, I’d suggest adding it to your phone so that you can find supermarket deals such as the veal.
With food prices increasing from 5-7% all over Canada, I’ll stock up whenever I can.
Today, I made a quick Veal Vegetable Soup which you can have on the table in one hour.
The reason it’s keto Is that there’s nothing in the Veal Vegetable Soup but approved products.
And for those of you who eat low-carb or a regular diet, the same applies.
What is veal? Veal is meat from a younger male calf around seven or eight months old.
You will find that veal is more expensive than cattle beef because of age.
If that’s the case, swap out the veal for minced beef instead.
When I created this recipe, I thought about all the people who come home after work and need to cook.
Sometimes I get lazy and do not eat anything unless I make it in advance.
Who knew I’d use the microwave so much in Canada? I had never owned one.
If your veal is frozen, take it out the day before and defrost in the refrigerator.
In addition, you can make the Veal Vegetable Soup and let it cool, then portion the soup and freeze it.
This pot of soup typically feeds us for two meals, each equalling four portions along with bread for dunking.
How To Make Veal Vegetable Soup
Alternatively, you can use minced beef, as I was just fortunate to find a deal that fits our grocery budget.
One ingredient I used that is out of the ordinary was a can of Eden Organic Black Soy Beans.
Importantly the net carbs are 1g with 1g sugar for one-half cup, although there is no added sugar.
Below are the easy ingredients you will need to make Veal Vegetable Soup.
On the other hand if you own an Instant Pot, you can prepare this recipe.
Just don’t ask me how the pot works as I have no idea. (stop laughing)
Believe it or not, we won an Instant Pot around two years ago and haven’t opened the box yet.
Undoubtedly, I need to unbox the pot and learn how to use it.
Note: The printable recipe is at the end of this blog post.
Ingredients For Veal Vegetable Soup
- 1 can 796ml diced tomatoes or homemade canned tomatoes
- 1 can of Eden Organic Black Soy Beans
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 3/4 cup diced red onion
- 1lb ground lean Veal or Beef
- 1 tablespoon of butter or extra virgin olive oil or Avocado oil
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 2 cups of riced cauliflower (I used frozen riced cauliflower from Costco)
- 1 red pepper sliced into long strips
- 3 cups of homemade beef stock or beef bouillon cubes or Knorr beef concentrate or Organika Beef Stock Powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons of pink Himalayan salt or table salt or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon of homemade taco seasoning (easy to make and store in your kitchen) or use from the packet of taco seasoning.
- 1 tablespoon of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
Veal Vegetable Soup Instructions
- In a large frying pan or pot that has some depth turn the dial to 5 or medium heat.
- Add butter, avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil followed by the minced garlic and onions
- Stir for about 1 minute then add the 1lb of minced veal or beef.
- Once the veal is cooked through drain the fat if you want but I kept mine in as it was a lean veal.
- Add the diced tomatoes,celery, black soybeans, riced cauliflower, red pepper strips and black organic soy beans and stir. Note: I let the water evaporate in a frying pan from the frozen cauliflower before I added it. You can also use fresh riced cauliflower. Cook until just tender. Fresh and Frozen are a bit different for cooking times.
- Add the spices, bay leaf, taco seasoning, Salt, Pepper, Worcestershire and stir together for one minute until combined so the flavours are equally distributed.
- Pour the beef stock over top the veal and vegetables and let the soup heat up on high then reduce it to 4 or 5 on the dial to reduce for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Serve in a bowl piping hot with freshly grated Parmigiano Regianno cheese or your choice of topping. You can eat it as is.
Some links are affiliate links which means that if you purchase the product, I get a small commission.
Also, I link products so my readers can see what I used to make my recipe unforgettable.
Subscribe and Thrive
Apart from this if you are not a subscriber to Canadian Budget Binder, what are you waiting for?
Join CBB a friendly community of frugal living, finance friends who want to learn how to reduce debt, increase savings and lower costs across their monthly budget.
Subscribe To the Canadian Budget Binder And Get My Exclusive CBB Emergency Binder FREE!