The best avocado toast starts with a premium avocado that is perfectly ripened and tender to touch.
We’ve been avocado fans since we first tried them as part of a keto diet.
Last week my sister-in-law handed me a bag of four large organic avocados, so I made two recipes.
I decided on a sugar-free avocado chocolate pudding and avocado toast on Carbonaut bread.
Carbonaut bread is a keto bread that we buy at Costco Canada for a double loaf for $9.99.
If you are not eating a low-carb or keto diet, all you need is your favourite bread for toast.
Let me show you how to make avocado toast with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano grated on top.
Health Benefits of an Avocado
Here are some of the most abundant nutrients in a single 3.5-ounce (100-gram) avocado serving:
- Vitamin K: 26% of the daily value (DV)
- Folate: 20% of the DV
- Vitamin C: 17% of the DV
- Vitamin B5: 14% of the DV
- Vitamin B6: 13% of the DV
- Vitamin E: 10% of the DV
- It also contains small amounts of magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, zinc, phosphorous and vitamins A, B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin) and B3 (niacin).
Avocados come with 160 calories, 2 grams of protein and 15 grams of healthy fats.
Although it contains 9 grams of carbs, 7 are fibre, so there are only 2 “net” carbs, making this a low-carb-friendly plant food.- Source Proven benefits of Avocado.
Whether we shop at Zehrs, one of Canada’s most expensive grocery stores or Food Basics, avocado prices are dear.
To purchase one large organic avocado is priced between $1.99- $2.99, which isn’t too bad.
If you’re making this recipe for one person, all you need is one avocado.
Ideally, you won’t need to buy a bag of avocados unless you plan to eat them within the week.
How To Store An Avocado
Although keeping avocados on the counter will ripen them quickly, we store them in the refrigerator.
The cold in the vegetable crisper slows the ripening process of the avocado.
I’m not an avocado scientist, but that’s what we’ve noticed over the years of eating them.
We take one or two out at a time if we plan to eat them the same day or the next.
Purchasing Avocados In Bulk
You’ll also notice that almost all grocery stores sell four or five green or black avocados in a mesh bag.
The price will always be lower when you buy avocados in bulk.
Let me tell you a little secret about buying avocados.
Almost always, especially when an avocado is in the growing season, we find half-priced avocado.
Although the price is fantastic if you buy them you need to eat them within a day or two.
It’s still a savings and a great way to make a leisurely keto breakfast or snack recipe.
Delicious Avocado Toast Variations
The recipe I make with a ripe avocado is relatively easy and tastes delicious.
There is no best bread for avocado toast that I would suggest as variations are equally as delicious.
Optional bread might include flatbread, pita bread, crumpets, scones or English muffins.
If you’ve tried the 3 ingredient Protein bread recipe you’ll love it toasted with the avocado mixture.
Always check the reduced bread rack or have a walk around the bread aisle looking for deals.
Try the avocado mixture in a lettuce boat which contains 4 romaine or iceberg lettuce leaves.
- Avocado Toast with a soft-boiled egg or scrambled egg
- Plain Smashed Avocado on Toast
- Avocado Toast with mozzarella melted under the broiler
- Tuna and Avocado Toast
- Avocado Toast with Tomato and Bacon
- Chunky Avocado Toast With Mayo
- Smooth Avocado Toast Spread (use the hand blender) Every home needs a hand blender.
- Avocado and Feta Toast
- Fried Egg on Avocado Toast
- Goat Cheese Avocado Toast is unique, and you can find a double-pack at Costco for a great price.
- Sardines and Avocado on Toast
- There are many other ways of eating avocado on toast, and I’d love to read about your creation.
Discussion: Please leave me a comment below and tell me how you enjoy avocados and toast?
Easy Avocado Toast With Grated Parmigiano
Note: The printable recipe is below.
My recipe is enough for one person, but double it if there are two people.
- 1 large ripe Avocado
- 1/4 teaspoon salt/pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon of soft butter for each toasted slice (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano
How To Make Avocado On Toast
- Cut a ripe avocado in half and remove the pit or seed (you can grow an avocado tree with it or trash it). You can easily peel a ripe avocado without using a knife.
- Scoop out the soft green avocado into a medium-sized bowl using a spoon
- Add the salt and pepper and mayonnaise and mix it with the avocado.
- Keep the avocado mixture chunky (my fav) or smooth as it’s a personal preference.
- Take two slices of your favourite bread or other bread product and toast them.
- Add a teaspoon of soft butter to each slice of toast. (optional)
- Spread the avocado mixture on top of each slice of toasted bread.
- Sprinkle each slice of toast with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
Simple, isn’t it?
Avocado Toast With Parmigiano Regianno Cheese
Other Avocado Recipes You Might Enjoy
- Easy Keto Garlic Avocado Mayonnaise
- Creamy Keto Avocado Taco Dip
- Avocado Blue Cheese Dressing (Keto)
- Crispy Keto Avocado Fries With Dip