There has yet to be an easier keto recipe to make than Chia Seed Pudding, and it’s very healthy.
You don’t have to be keto to enjoy chia seed pudding because the only difference is the sugar, dairy or topping you use that makes it keto.
With Valentine’s day on February 14th, a Strawberry Chia Seed Pudding is a nice treat for two.
There’s not much to preparing chia seeds as we’ve sprinkled them on desserts, salads and savoury foods.
However, when it came time to make chia seed pudding, we made many variations and loved each one.
I’ve been sitting on this easy chia seed pudding recipe for about a year.
I wanted to make a few different types of chia pudding to give you different variations to try.
Today, I’m going to show you how to make easy chia seed pudding which you can eat for breakfast, lunch or as a snack.
The jams and ingredients are all sugar-free using a ground keto sweetener.
- Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding topped with sugar-free chocolate chips or cacao seeds.
- Strawberry Chia Seed Pudding
- Mulberry Jam Chia Seed Pudding
- Vanilla Chia Seed Pudding
- Pumpkin Spice Chia Seed Pudding
- Blueberry Cinnamon Almond Chia Seed Pudding
- Sugar-Free Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
- Carrot Orange marmalade
- Sugar-Free Peanut Butter mixed with Black Cacoa is amazing
- Sugar-Free Chocolate with Unsweetened Coconut flakes tastes like a Bounty Chocolate Bar
Plus, let’s learn a little history behind the chia seeds because learning about food is a great way to create new recipes.
What Are Chia Seeds?
I had no idea that chia seeds were used as an egg substitute for cakes, pudding, or vegan cooking.
The seeds are hygroscopic, absorbing up to 12 times their weight in liquid when soaked and developing a mucilaginous coating that gives chia-based foods and beverages a distinctive gel texture.
It’s a case of you either love the texture or you don’t, but I enjoyed it and the different variations.
Today, chia is cultivated in its ancestral homeland of central Mexico and Guatemala and commercially in Argentina, Bolivia, Ecuador, Guatemala, and Mexico.
Source: Wikipedia Chia Seeds
Chia Seed Nutrition
Chia seeds are loaded with antioxidants, Omega 3 fatty acids and a giant dose of fibre.
I was shocked to learn about the health benefits of chia seeds and their use for bone health.
Chia seeds may prevent heart disease, support weight loss, and support blood sugar levels.
Mrs. CBB has lost over 100lbs on her keto journey, and chia seed pudding has been part of it.
Buying Chia Seeds To Make Chia Seed Pudding
When Mrs. CBB started her keto journey, she bought a bag of chia seeds to make chia seed pudding.
The Kirkland Organic Chia Seeds bag is large, which you can buy on Amazon Canada if you can’t find them at your local Costco or grocery store.
Our first thought was that we hoped we liked chia seeds; otherwise, it was a waste of money.
I suggest that if you haven’t tried chia seeds, go to a bulk store and buy black chia seeds.
You can even buy smaller bags of black chia seed on Amazon Canada to test at home.
Doing so allows you to make chia seed pudding before dabbling into the big bag.
When we brought a bag of chia seeds home, she wanted to get to work making chia seed pudding.
Types Of Chia Seed Pudding
The jams and ingredients are all sugar-free using a ground keto sweetener or granulated sugar if not keto.
Today, I’m working my way through just a few types of chia seed puddings we’ve made.
I’ve added other variations at the start of this post for more ideas.
Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding topped with sugar-free chocolate chips or cacao seeds.
Strawberry Chia Seed Pudding
Mulberry Jam Chia Seed Pudding
Vanilla Chia Seed Pudding
Pumpkin Spice Chia Seed Pudding
Blueberry Cinnamon Almond Chia Seed Pudding
Toppings and Flavours For Chia Seed Pudding
Since there are many variations of chia pudding it makes this recipe fun.
For the most part, we make a plain chia seed pudding with pure vanilla extract and add toppings.
Besides the chocolate chia pudding, we incorporate dark black cocoa that tastes like Oreo cookies.
- Almond Slivers
- Inari Organic Raw Cacao Nibs 300g“>Cacao Nibs adds a crunchy texture to the chia pudding.
- Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips either Krisda or Lily’s
- Fresh Blueberries and sugar-free blueberry jam
- Homemade sugar-free Strawberry jam
- Unsweetened Coconut
- Organic Pumpkin Seeds
- Epicure Pumpkin Spice (gift) or you can make pumpkin spice at home.
- Powdered keto approved sweetener or granular sweetener and using an electric coffee grinder to make it powder or homemade sugar-free maple syrup or homemade keto condensed milk
- Homemade keto granola
For example, we make a homemade pumpkin spice and keep it equal parts of Nutmeg, Ground Cinnamon, Organic Ground Cloves, and Organic Ground Ginger in a jar.
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Any other pure extract or extract without added sugar
- Pure Almond Extract
- Maple extract
- Anise Extract (very little as this is powerful like a black licorice)
- Any other spices that you think you’d like mixed in your chia pudding.
Dairy Product Ideas For Keto Chia Seed Pudding
Whether you want this to be a keto chia pudding or not, you can use just about any type of milk.
These are the types of milk we’ve tried to make this easy chia seed pudding recipe. We used 1 cup of dairy for the recipe or 1 can of coconut milk.
- Sugar-Free Oat Milk (Keto)Check grocery store health food shelf stable or refrigerated for best price or Costco.
- Oat Milk Check grocery store health food shelf stable or refrigerated for best price or Costco.
- Sugar-Free Oat Milk (Keto) Check grocery store health food shelf stable or refrigerated for best price or Costco.
- Almond Milk
- Sugar-Free Almond Milk (keto)
- 2% Milk
- Unsweetened Coconut Milk (keto)
- Macadamia Nut Milk (keto) it’s cheaper at Costco Canada if you have one close.
Our favourite milk in a chia seed pudding recipe is the sugar-free oat milk and unsweetened coconut milk.
The coconut milk gives you the creamiest texture set overnight in the refrigerator.
Some recipes say you can eat the chia pudding after 2-4 hours in the refrigerator, which you can, but we let it set overnight.
Before You Refrigerate
Before you put the chia pudding mixture into the refrigerator try it to see if the flavour is to your satisfaction.
You can always add more before you refrigerate or even after but we try to taste beforehand.
Try the recipe at the two-hour, four-hour, and 24 hours to see which timing you like best.
Let me know in the comments what route you went and the flavours you tried.
Subscribe To the Canadian Budget Binder And Get My Exclusive CBB Emergency Binder FREE!
Before you go check out my Free Recipe Depot which is all of the recipes ever shared on CBB since 2012.