EVERYONE’S KETO GROCERY BILL WILL BE DIFFERENT
Some people hear the word “Keto” and automatically assume it’s the new fad diet but it’s nothing of the sort.
It’s basically just eating a clean diet with healthy fats to lose weight and get back to the healthiest version of you.
Ketogenic diet results are widely showcased all over the internet because it is successful for those who follow it like they are supposed to 20 to 25 net carbs a day.
My wife has lost quite a bit of weight that she gained after having our son and she says, yes to the high fat ketogenic diet.
Types of Ketogenic Diet
There are four types of keto diet followers
- Standard Ketogenic Diet
- Targeted Ketogenic Diet
- Cyclical Ketogenic Diet
- Restricted Ketogenic Diet
To be honest the word “Keto” is just a word because most people eat Keto and don’t even know it.
When you eat a BBQ steak and a Caesar salad on the side guess what?
That’s a keto-friendly meal.
Do you mean to tell me you’re not going to gobble that up?
So, before you say NO to Keto consider exactly what the lifestyle is and how it may benefit your health and grocery budget.
Our monthly grocery budget for 2 adults and one child is $400 a month plus a $25 stockpiling amount.
This allows us to stockpile items on our ketogenic food list if we find a great deal that comes in handy for any grocery budget.
Yes, we can enjoy a Ketogenic diet on $425 a month and that includes buying non-keto foods for our little guy who still loves his grilled cheese on white bread.
Do I miss potatoes, pasta, and bread?
Nope, because I make my own bread and opt for spiral zucchini, squash, and even Nu Pasta as my ultimate pre-packaged pasta for only $3.99.
That will feed two of us well with some added flavours, protein, and vegetables.
Think about the food products you are eliminating from your grocery list and consider what you are replacing them with.
Most often they cancel each other out which means you aren’t spending any more or less than what your original budget started with.
A keto grocery budget is designed the same way as any other grocery budget would with the amount of money you have available to spend.
Creating a keto budget starts with stocking your pantry with ketogenic diet essentials which may seem costly at first but most items will last you a long time.
It’s no different from moving into a new home or apartment and having to restock your pantry, refrigerator and freezer from the bottom up again.
You get rid of the products you no longer need and have by donating them if applicable or tossing them in the bin if they are out of date.
Then you create a keto basics grocery list of items you know you will use based on your keto meal plan.
To be honest our grocery list is pretty much the same from week to week although we swap out produce and protein based on flyer sales for the week.
High fat, moderate protein diet which means you aren’t rushing to the meat department scouring the best deals.
The good part is that you can still hop on the reduced meat department products and store them in the freezer until you need to use them in a recipe.
This helps to cut costs for your grocery budget but this isn’t new or keto related it’s just grocery shopping with a frugal mindset.
Keep an eye out for meats and fishes with the skin on and bone in if you can.
The reason for this is that both skin and bones have added health benefits such as collagen and calcium plus they will be cheaper because there is less processing involved.
Keto Protein Sources
Other sources of protein that we buy;
- Fish including salmon and canned tuna and any other fresh fish on sale
- Bacon and keep the bacon fat for cooking
- Nuts and Nut Butters such as peanut butter (no-sugar just nuts), Almond butter
- Seeds such as pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- Canned Chicken or Corned Beef
Keto Fruits and Vegetables
When it comes to fruits and vegetables on the ketogenic diet we find that berries and avocados cost the most which is why Costco is our friend.
We can get a large bag of avocados for $10.99 which has gone up in price from $8.99 but that is expected given the news at the end of last year that we would see price hikes in the produce department.
Buying berries in bulk such as raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries are all keto basics that we eat fresh, frozen or use in baked goods.
Berries offer you lots of fiber which you will want on a ketogenic diet and potassium.
You can also find large bags of frozen berries at Costco or the grocery store which may ring in even cheaper so do your due diligence when it comes to finding the best prices and stick to it.
Keep an eye on the reduced rack for peppers and mushrooms as there always seems to be an abundance of them.
We also find greens in the tubs and bags are reduced often as shelf-life is not that great.
You can grab half-price kale, spinach, and lettuce greens for a bargain this way and enjoy them raw or even sauteed with some olive oil, butter, garlic, Pink Himalayan salt, and pepper.
If your local grocery store has cauliflower, broccoli, green beans and cabbage slaw in bags you may even find them reduced often.
However, you can save money by buying flash-frozen fruit and vegetable bags in the freezer section.
Eat your greens and keep clean
Ketogenic Diet and Your Grocery Budget
When it comes to following a ketogenic lifestyle it has to be one that;
- Fits your grocery budget and lifestyle
- Fits your health goals and needs
Below are all of the ways that we save money on the ketogenic diet for our grocery budget each month.
- Shop online for the best low-carb, Ketogenic diet products like Amazon, Low Carb Grocery Canada
- Buy Reduced or Sale price items in bulk and freeze them
- Keep a fully stocked spice rack but beware of spice mixes with additives that may add carbs.
- Use coupons and coupon apps to your advantage
- Intermittent fasting is a great way to reduce expenses and body fat at the same time.
- Don’t waste money on products you aren’t sure of. Do some research online and ask questions first.
- Homemade is best and cheaper when it comes to the ketogenic diet
- Follow a keto meal plan just as you would any other meal plan
- Do use Pinterest to find some of the best ketogenic recipes on the web
- Do meal plan and avoid food waste
- Keep your ketogenic diet meals easy
- Avoid snacking and fill the void with water, coffee, tea or bone broth
- Avoid costly keto marketing supplements and products
- Buy your produce in season like you would normally for the best savings
- Source eggs from local farmers which may be cheaper or stock up when there is a grocery sale
- Source local farms, farmers markets or grow a garden in the summer for produce savings
- Buy in bulk if cheaper compared to grocery flyer sales or when applicable. Costco is a great place to find Keto friendly products for less.
- Buy locally sourced meats online and have them shipped in bulk to your front door
Keto Products we buy online
I know I said above not to fall into the trap of keto supplements and products but there are times when they do come in handy and if your grocery budget allows for them then go for it if it makes your life easier.
If we don’t have time to make bone broth which is wonderful as a keto snack and is full of collagen we opt for pure collagen powder.
The collagen powder is mixed in with hot or cold drinks and you don’t even know it’s there.
If you don’t want to spend the money to buy this keto supplement then fill your meal plan with more animal skins like chicken skin or bone broth.
We also have Organika Bone Broth on hand if we are on the go or if I want to take the powder to work.
We have a small kitchen where I can boil the kettle and easily make a cup of bone broth to sip on.
Collagen is the glue that holds your body together. Since it’s a major component found in your connective tissue, collagen maintains the structure and integrity of your skin, muscle tissue, bones and tendons.- Benefits of Collagen
All bone broths — beef, chicken, fish, lamb and more — are staples in the traditional diets of every culture and the basis of all fine cuisine.
They’re also now a staple in the Paleo diet and the keto diet.
That’s because bone broths are nutrient-dense, easy to digest, rich in flavor and boost healing.- Benefits of Bone broth
Another product we purchase online is MCT oil (Medium Chain Triglycerides) which helps to increase ketone levels.
- Promotes Weight-loss
- Fuels Your Brain
- Reduces Lactate build-up and helps use fat for energy
- Could help manage Autism, Alzheimer’s disease and Epilepsy
- Contains Fatty Acids that fight yeast and Bacterial growth
- May reduce heart disease
- May help to control blood sugar levels and support diabetes management
As the name suggests, medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil contains medium-length chains of fats called triglycerides.
Due to their shorter length, MCTs are easily digested and many health benefits are linked to the way your body processes these fats.- Benefits of MCT Oil
Sugar-Free Syrups and Keto Sweeteners
This is a must especially if you love to sweeten your coffee, tea or make baked goods and ice-cream to have in your pantry at all times.
Below are typical items we will purchase from Amazon only because we find they are cheaper online than in the grocery store.
Saying that, do your homework because it may be cheaper where you live.
Also, I suggest understanding which types of keto or low-carb sugar substitutes are best for your body and keto diet lifestyle.
You will find many articles online about the pros and cons of each but that doesn’t mean they won’t work for you.
- Monk Fruit
- Torani Sugar-free Syrups
- Sugar-free maple syrup we typically buy Ed.Smith for $2.99 at Food Basics or you can find Mrs. Butterworth’s Sugar-Free Syrup for $3.99
- Sukrin Gold Brown Sugar
- Swerve Brown Sugar
- Extracts you can find at the Bulk Barn or on Amazon for the best prices. We keep a stock of our favourite flavours such as vanilla, maple, banana, almond extract.
- Butter although we don’t go for grass-fed as it’s far too expensive and stock up at $2.99 or buy from Costco $3.99
- Avocado oil we purchase at Costco for $12.99 for 1L
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil has to be the good stuff- cold pressed and we find excellent deals at Costco.
- Coconut Oil we buy Nutiva at Costco for $15.99 2kg but it lasts us a long time since we opt for the other fats.
- Ghee can be used for cooking or in your bullet-proof coffee but can be pricey unless you find it on sale.
- Bacon Fat we store in a container in our refrigerator to use for frying
- Cheese (whatever is on sale) Soft Cheese, Ricotta, Hard Cheese, Parmigiano, Romano, Feta, Halloumi.
- Whipping Cream 1L $4.15 Costco
- S0ur Cream x 2 pack Costco $2.95
- 10% cream $1.99 Costco
- Coconut milk $1.99 can on Amazon
- Sugar-Free Almond milk whatever is on sale but generally $2.99 for 1 litre.
Typical Keto Meal Plan For 1 Day
Use my Buster Rhino’s link to get 10% off your order! Buster Rhino’s have loads of amazing flavoured pork rinds, Keto BBQ sauce, Keto Ketchup and spices including Stevia.
As you can see by eliminating all the extras in your grocery cart and replacing them with other items most times will balance your grocery budget when switching to a ketogenic diet.
The idea is to keep up the frugal grocery shopping like you usually do even if you have others in the household that aren’t on a keto diet.
- Black coffee with sweetener x 2, collagen peptides and MCT oil
During Eating window
We opt for cheap keto meals as much as possible so we can spend money on other items on our keto list.
- Keto Snacks – Hard-boiled eggs, Bone Broth (Organika), Cured meats such as salami, capicola, prosciutto, Cheese, Nuts (All bought Costco), Pork Rinds $3.99 bag (Buster Rhino’s online), Dried Pepperoni Sticks (Costco $11.99 2 pack)
- Use my Buster Rhino’s link to get 10% off your order!
- Coffee or tea with cream and sweetener
- Lots of water
- Berries and whipped cream, homemade keto ice-cream in a jar
- Keto Avocado Chocolate Pudding
- Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you find ripe avocado on the reduced rack you can buy them and making avocado chocolate pudding for a discounted price.
Keto Lunch Ideas
- 3 x Scrambled large eggs in bacon fat or butter with 2 sausage patties (Costco $13.99 box)
- Egg Frittata packs well for lunches
- Quick mug biscuit (I make at home and pack in my lunch)
- Small garden salad with Caesar dressing sometimes I add berries to it or load it up with low-carb vegetables
Keto Dinner Ideas
- 2 homemade grilled chicken burgers with melted mozzarella and mushrooms with a keto bun
- Cauliflower sautéed in butter, soy, apple cider vinegar, pink Himalayan salt, cumin, and turmeric
We intermittent fast 18:6 which means we don’t eat for 18 hours and eat within a 6-hour window to cut snacking and overeating and speed up the Keto weight-loss process.
Eventually, I plan to do a full Costco breakdown with photos of all the keto products we purchase there so you can see the benefits of buying in bulk as opposed to sticking to the health food section at the grocery store.
So don’t get worried that you can’t afford the keto diet to adapt the products to your keto meal plan and shop like you always do, frugal-minded.
You may not get all the products you want right away but it takes time to build your pantry which will eventually help keep your budget in check.
Discussion: What other grocery savings tips can you offer for someone on a ketogenic diet or just starting?
I love reading your comments so please leave them below.